Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 Polaris SLH 700- Not running right..Stumped

Working on a 2000 Polaris SLH 700. Owner said that it would run but die on them and wouldn't want to start. I pulled carbs apart and the internal filters were pretty clogged up. I cleaned them out and rebuilt carbs using all new gaskets, diaphragms etc. The low speed screws seemed to be pretty far out and I put them back to factory specs.

The jetski still doesn't want to run right. The idle is very odd on it and doesn't seem to want to adjust, and it bogs at low speed. If you can get it past the low speed bog it opens up and runs nicely.

Is there any certain things I should be looking at on this model? Im not very familiar with the Keihin carbs so they have been messing with me a bit.

Someone also mentioned it could be the notorious electrical issue, but from my understanding the 2000 model SLH has the upgraded ignition. Any help troubleshooting would be appreciated!

I'd start by rebuilding the carbs and reseting the screws to factory spec and go from there.

Also, if it's having a hard time restarting when it's warm, do the "red/purple cdi wire to the orange terminal" fix.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    check to see if the return orifice is clogged,it'll be in the carb without the fuel pump on it.right behind the brass 90 fitting at the top

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Did you spray carb leaner through every little passageway and orifice?

Sometimes it takes some fluid pressure and flow for the cleaner to fully clear the clogs out.

Im going to answer all questions in one reply here.

Carbs were cleaned and rebuilt. The first time I sprayed through every orifice(with air and carb cleaner) and installed all new parts. Carbs looked like new on the inside except for some dirt in filters and a couple pinched o-rings. However I still used all new parts.

After they still didn't want to run, I figured I must have missed something. I then pulled them apart again, and dipped the carbs this time in new cleaner. I let them each sit for a while in the cleaner, pulled them out and once again blew through every passage way. I also made sure to clean the return line fitting very thoroughly. I initially thought it was clogged, but then discovered they have those restricted at the fitting.

Also installed clear fuel filter and I am getting a nice flow of fuel to the carbs.

I was also informed that before it sat, it would run great on the trailer but wouldn't run once they got it in the water.

Thanks for the help guys...really just trying to brain storm on this one. It still seems fuel related so I will end up going back through everything again next week if I can't find anything else wrong.

Have you checked crank index?

Banned User
    +1
    I had some of these same issues this weekend. Adjusted the low speed screws out.

I also found that idle speed made a huge difference. If the idle was too low it would bog real bad. Once I got that set it worked good. I was showing 1500 rpm on my MFD. I am having the same sorts of issues with my SLTH 700. I thought I had it figured out but now today it was way too rich on the bottom again. If I lean out the bottom end so it doesn't load up, it will most likely bog off idle again.

Banned User
    +1
    I bet we are having the same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
    Have you checked crank index?
    No. This wasn't a complete motor build or anything..supposedly the ski has less than 20 hours on it. The MFD is toast though so its useless and I can't really pull any info off the ski.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    I had some of these same issues this weekend. Adjusted the low speed screws out.

I also found that idle speed made a huge difference. If the idle was too low it would bog real bad. Once I got that set it worked good. I was showing 1500 rpm on my MFD. I am having the same sorts of issues with my SLTH 700. I thought I had it figured out but now today it was way too rich on the bottom again. If I lean out the bottom end so it doesn't load up, it will most likely bog off idle again.
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    I bet we are having the same issue.
    I have played around with the low speed screws at a bunch of various settings going from stock settings all the way to what should have been too rich. I just got back from the lake late yesterday so will be starting back on this ski tomorrow. Will let you know if I figure anything out that may help you as well.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    resistor plugs???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information