Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

FX HO Cruiser Oil Consumption

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2004 FX HO Cruiser that uses oil! It runs nothing short of excellent and compression test warm shows 210, 208, 210 and 208. Everything is smooth! I have 150 hours but I think my oil consumption started from around 80 hours.

Right now, I can burn 5-6 oz in 4 hours of ocean trips.

I have gotten lots of good feedback from my friends on PWCtoday site. I have searched this forum but nothing came up. Perhaps I did not do a good job.

My friend's 07 has no oil loss and it shows same performance as mine! Almost identical!

Did you ever experience oil loss with yours? Is this normal? Does anyone have any oil loss on 07 and later models? I have a feeling this must've been something that Yamaha fixed in 07 and alter models.

Your inputs are appreciated!
    Last edited by CaptainReza; 05-27-2011 at 10:21 AM. Reason: fx ho oil usage consumption loss eating up oil

I have 2 of these jets. Both use very little oil. 07 with 250hrs, 04 with 170hrs. Are you over filling the oil tank. Best to run these engines about 20mm below the full mark on a HOT engine, (Thats roughly 3/4 of the way up from the low oil mark to the full mark). If the oil is above this level expecialy on rough water, and when running WOT, oil will be sent out the crank case breather hose to the air filter. Stock paper filters can become stopped up. RIVA & R&D filter/spark arrestors do not. Does it smoke? Expect a little grey smoke at start up on the trailer. If it runs good I would not worry about it. Try running toward the low Oil mark and see if this does not fix the problem. ( ps carry some oil just in case you need it if you try this)

Hope this helps

Roy

+1
    Hi Roy,

I have been keeping the oil level below 1/2, almost at 1/4 to 3/8.
    I don't notice smoke!

The filter is clean with no oil residue on there!
    I so as you advised, I keep a qrt of oil with me but I have never had to refill in one day, however I have to before the next trip.

Thanks for chiming in!
    Reza
    Quote Originally Posted by TennR600 View Post
    I have 2 of these jets. Both use very little oil. 07 with 250hrs, 04 with 170hrs. Are you over filling the oil tank. Best to run these engines about 20mm below the full mark on a HOT engine, (Thats roughly 3/4 of the way up from the low oil mark to the full mark). If the oil is above this level expecialy on rough water, and when running WOT, oil will be sent out the crank case breather hose to the air filter. Stock paper filters can become stopped up. RIVA & R&D filter/spark arrestors do not. Does it smoke? Expect a little grey smoke at start up on the trailer. If it runs good I would not worry about it. Try running toward the low Oil mark and see if this does not fix the problem. ( ps carry some oil just in case you need it if you try this)

Hope this helps

Roy

Then the only things I can think of are all of the ring end gaps have lined up on a piston, possible not likley. Or some where you are leaking oil into the cooling water, never heard of this happening, possibly an internal oil line. Look for oil in the hull if you havnt done so. Are you running anything other than 10w-30/40 mineral oil? I use Yamalube.

I have read of this happening somewhere in the G H forum. If it runs good, like you said. I would call it a 3 stroke and ride like its a rental!!

Roy

+1
    Have you tried a leak down test? Here is an inexpensive kit you can get. You can also find a 20% off coupon online.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cylinde...ter-94190.html

+1
    My 07 FXHO burns 1 quart every 3 tanks of fuel, since new. No probs. 300 hours.
    My 02 FX140 burns 1 quart almost every tank, since new including new head on warranty. 650 hours.
    I ride 3 strokes......HAHA.

+1
    Dude, thanks for the info! I bet you ride them hard! I burn just about 1 qrt every 3 to 4 tanks which equates for me about 16 hours of ride time! I won't worry about anything then!

Did you say 650 hours on the FX HO 140? What has broke than with that many hours?
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Swamp King View Post
    My 07 FXHO burns 1 quart every 3 tanks of fuel, since new. No probs. 300 hours.
    My 02 FX140 burns 1 quart almost every tank, since new including new head on warranty. 650 hours.
    I ride 3 strokes......HAHA.

+1
    2002 FX140 650 hours, burns oil like a 2 stroke. Jumps docks and logs. (see sig.& links) Caved in the hull and sank it 3 times. Now has kevlar reinforced hull plus keelguard (very important addition).
    Replaced impellar once. Pump bearings twice. Reduction gear partial rebuild, low/mid range vibration reduced, but not gone. Gotta pull crank for complete fix. Not happenin'.
    It's the beater/loaner that still runs great.

I have a 2006 FX Cruiser HO with about 150 miles on it. I ride 200-300 miles at a pop ( about 10 hrs) on the Gulf ICW and find that I have to add a quart of oil after one of these trips. No oil in the engine compartment or hull area. No Leakage from filter, and it does not smoke ( that I can tell of). I fill it to about the 1/2 way mark on the stick. I use the Yamaha recommended 4 stroke oil.

I am having the same question .. is this OK???

+1
    It's OK! I am on my 3rd ski and they are all the same!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information