Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie with new to me skis (coming out of storage)

Hey guys, I just got my first skis last night. I bought them from a family friend who hasn't used them in 4+ years. The gtx was running fine when they last used it and the gsx's motor is just sitting in the hull due to the motor being smoked from sitting in bilge water.

What are the must do's and recomendations before I put the gts in the water? Thanks !

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to GH!

For starters was the GTX properly fogged and winterized? if not you could have rust on the crank bearings. could be a ticking timebomb. run it till it goes and rebuild. as for the GSX I would really take that motor apart and start over. easier to do it now so you dont have to do it later. what year are these skis? the motor size makes a difference in rebuild costs. There are sticky threads in the top of the 2 stroke performance sub forum called DIY-Fuel System Cleaning. follow this one closely you will want to follow this to a T. there are other things to look at after you get them running but lets focus on that first then move on to the pump area.

Sorry, there both 1997 models. I'm pretty sure it was not fogged. Definetly ridden hard and put away wet. I tried starting the GTS tonight. No go. Pulled the plugs and smells like varnished fuel. I'll buy the fuel line tomorrow, fill the tank with some fresh fuel and try it again.

If I were to start from scratch on the GTX what internal mods should I consider? Any larger displacement motors drop in?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
    Sorry, there both 1997 models. I'm pretty sure it was not fogged. Definetly ridden hard and put away wet. I tried starting the GTS tonight. No go. Pulled the plugs and smells like varnished fuel. I'll buy the fuel line tomorrow, fill the tank with some fresh fuel and try it again.

If I were to start from scratch on the GTX what internal mods should I consider? Any larger displacement motors drop in?
    Ok fisr thngs first are we working with a 97 GTS and a 97 GTX? because in the first post you said GSX and GTX. if it is the latter you have a 720 in the GTS and a 787 in the GTX. I would not do any internal mods. Keep it stock. Get it running and then mod it. theres no wosre troubel than modding during a rebuild. (ask me how I know) Call members Tweeker and or Mongoose 2 at www.purrperformance.com I sent them my topend and they hooked me up with a hone, pistons, crank and shipping for under a grand. great guys to deal with. dont try dropping in a bigger motor. its a ton more work than it looks like. see my build thread doing a 951 in a 96XP "Airbornes951XP" Just do a direct replacement. as for the GTS. order some carb rebuild kits from the on line store at the top of this page. "Greenhulk OE Replacement Parts Store" enter GREENHULK as a discount code for a small discount. basically covers shipping. replace the fuel lines, pull the fuel selector and clean it, pull the carbs and clean them and the little black tube screen on the fuel in side. order some new needle and seats also. the size is stamped on the bottom of the seat. new plugs and it should start right up and run like a demon. if your mechanically enclined your GTX could be down only about 2 weeks if you take your time. after you get all this done we will move on to the pump area.

I reread my first post and see what your saying. I did misspeak. I have two skis. The GTX that is complete and a GSX thats in pieces. Thanks for the info. I'llreport back once I change the lines and fuel with my results.
    Last edited by Seabass; 05-29-2011 at 07:18 PM.

Reading the sticky on fuel line and had a thought:

-anyone use a inline filter going to the carbs like the little plastic ones for lawn mowers? Or maybe the servicable one they sell in the hotrod section of pep boys?

The reason I ask is because it looks like its some what difficult to access the filters in the carbs. Having a filter in front of the screens should all but eliminate their need to be seviced and a larger filter could go further before hindering flow. Thoughts?

+1
    all the carb cleaning is coming from the old fuel lines...as soon as you change them out and clean the carbs thoroughly you wont have a problem. an i think that you mistyped again...you mean a GSX? now is this the one with the 787 or the first gen 951?

YUP, Wrong again. Edited it to read correctly. Off to the parts store now =)

Did the easy stuff tonight, didn't have allens to pull the air cleaner off and I ran out of sunlight.

The clear line that goes up the same area as the fuel vent... Is that supposed to run to the battery vent?
    -the section that went to the fiberglass bulkhead ran under the motor and stopped.
    -the clear hose that was laying next to the battery also ran under the engine and stopped.
    -the ends didn't look like they matched (one was really dark and nasty and the other was super clean)

Thanks again this site is a terrific resource

Did some more reading and found out that I need a specific lanyard to start this thing? Computer chip in it ? Whats the skinny on this? Is this a bust out the vasoline and go to the dealer situation? *freaked!*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information