Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anybody use Yamaha race cams add on stage 3?

I want build on Riva Race cams in additional my stage 3 application.
    How much noticeable gain in middle and top end to achieve?

09 Yamaha Fzr 1800 Riva Stage 3, additional modification: R&D-R3, R&D 525-Injectors, Skat-Track 13/25,
    R&D ride plate, R&D intake grade, TBM-cone.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Daxler View Post
    I want build on Riva Race cams in additional my stage 3 application.
    How much noticeable gain in middle and top end to achieve?

09 Yamaha Fzr 1800 Riva Stage 3, additional modification: R&D-R3, R&D 525-Injectors, Skat-Track 13/25,
    R&D ride plate, R&D intake grade, TBM-cone.
    I have them here but I'm waiting for my engine to be rebuilt to test them. But I won't be able to tell you cam specific increase in performance. I'm also doing 1000cc 3 bar map water box and cams at the same time.

I find your combination very intresting!
    Please let me know your gain.
    I have the riva waterbox in my application too, it`s a noticeable gain on bottom end and might range!
    At the moment i am test the cam gears, but only inside gear (5° s2 setting) brings the gain 1,5 -2 mph
    You can forged the ex-side, i tested with no good resultat, i return to OEM gear.

+1
    Those "racing cams" are just the ones out of the naturally aspired motor. And in my opinion the exhaust side cam is too far advanced and gives an overall LSA that is too narrow for these boosted engines. Even in my own testing, you will actually start to loose performance as soon as you advance the exhaust side too much.

Do you think itīs the same wrong way like cam gear setting s3 and over!?
    I thougt the lobe profile are deciding performance, not only timing.
    Is it realy a marketing jog, cams for 800.-$. I donīt can belive it!
    Where are you loose performance, bottom end, average or full speed?
    I want to know it.

+1
    Yes it's the same thing because with the cam gears you aren't changing the main cam profile but rather just playing around with LSA. It's almost the same thing with NA cams. Not much change in lobe profile or duration. The biggest thing the NA cams give you is a much lower overall LSA, just like you can get with cam gears. But you will see if you start testing that when you go past a certain point in LSA you will start to lose performance. I lost top end and gained a bunch of bottom end but the loss on top was significant. The RC2 and RC3 cams have quite a bit more duration and lift and still maintain a good LSA for our boosted engines. I would start by playing around with cam gears and then if you want even more performance then look at aftermarket cams and not just a set of NA cams.

+1
    would the RIVA cams work with the R&D gears because I don't think RIVA has gears for there cams.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterholics View Post
    would the RIVA cams work with the R&D gears because I don't think RIVA has gears for there cams.

Yes, the R&D gears will work just fine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Those "racing cams" are just the ones out of the naturally aspired motor. And in my opinion the exhaust side cam is too far advanced and gives an overall LSA that is too narrow for these boosted engines. Even in my own testing, you will actually start to loose performance as soon as you advance the exhaust side too much.
    where have I heard this before?
    Remember what I told you about that grain of salt? Don't let it poison your mind

Those "Race cams" worked GREAT on my FZR build and many others that I know of.

Idle to 80 mph comes in 5.34 seconds
    Idle to 85 mph comes in 8.56 seconds

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    where have I heard this before?
    Remember what I told you about that grain of salt? Don't let it poison your mind

Those "Race cams" worked GREAT on my FZR build and many others that I know of.
    But did you ever try another set of cams to see if you could get even better performance? That's all I'm saying. This is all my own stuff here. Those NA cams give you an overall LSA of 114. 114 is great for an NA motor, hence why they are NA cams. 114 is even lower than what you can get with the cam gears on the S4 setting. S4 gives an LSA of 115. Well as soon as I got past a 117.5 LSA (S2 setting) I was losing top speed. Gained some serious low end, but lost quite a bit of the top. Now granted this was on stock boost but I have also helped others with cam gears on the more aggressive settings (S3 and S4) and running higher boost, with very similar results. I've found advancing the intake side 5 degrees to give a pretty solid RPM and speed increase.

My previous write up on all this pretty much gave all this info. I didn't hold anything back even when I experienced less than earth shattering results.

My opinion on this cam business still stands. If you are going to drop the coin on aftermarket cams, go for something with more lift and duration than what you get with just a set of off the shelf NA cams.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS JUST MY OPINION ON THIS STUFF. I have tried to back it up with a little info so people know where I am coming from. If you don't like it or think I'm full of shit take your cams out, come up with your own specs, and have them reground. Or buy the NA cams. Makes me no difference. I have nothing to gain or lose by it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information