Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

09 260X Oil in Aibox Tube - smoking bad/oil comming out of exhaust

260x with 40 hours, started smoking bad, cut her off and noticed oil in the airbox tube.....Oil discharged from exhaust when cranking as well.

Wonder what would have casued this? Everything was 10-4 pre ride, I am pretty anal about my PM and pre ride checks..Have 5 year warranty..Just curious what could have gone wrong..Head gasket, supercharger....

Never had any problems with my ski until now.

Thanks

Jon

Update..Just pulled plugs...Oil pooled in #3 and #4...Hope Kawasaki is cool with thier warranty claims...This smells expensive...

+1
    keep us updated sounds interesting

Here is where I am at:

Dealer can't take ski in until June 7

Pulled at 4 plugs; all were black and wet with oil. There is also oil pooled on the top of the pistons in #3 and #4.

Pulled the clear airbox tube off and oil poured out.

Never got any kind of warning when riding, just started to loose power and smoke, oil also came out of the exhuast when I tried to fire her up on the trailer after I got it out of the water. I followed the break in procedure, had the dealer do the the 10 hour service and changed the oil and filter at the begining of May.

I always check the oil and look over everything else before I ride.

Suprised that none of the race guys haven't piped in...

+1
    why are you suprised no race guys have piped in? its anyones guess what went wrong and your explanation is very vague at the least. oil in the combustion chambers can mean many things, you wont get any answers until you start and tear it down

Quote Originally Posted by jonw View Post
    Here is where I am at:

Dealer can't take ski in until June 7

Pulled at 4 plugs; all were black and wet with oil. There is also oil pooled on the top of the pistons in #3 and #4.

Pulled the clear airbox tube off and oil poured out.

Never got any kind of warning when riding, just started to loose power and smoke, oil also came out of the exhuast when I tried to fire her up on the trailer after I got it out of the water. I followed the break in procedure, had the dealer do the the 10 hour service and changed the oil and filter at the begining of May.

I always check the oil and look over everything else before I ride.

Suprised that none of the race guys haven't piped in...

Guess I am just a little suprised at what happened. I take really good care of the ski and am at a total loss on what caused this to happen. Plus, I'm not too happy about no ski for the long weekend.

Once the dealer gets to it, I'll share the answer to the mystery..

Does anyone have any exp. with the Kawasaki Extd. Warranty? I really don't want to hear any BS about things not being covered....

they are usually pretty good, unless you bought it in florida and there is a limit of liability clauses which only pays up to the value of the ski. Ask me how I know...

Only problem is your ski will be down for probably at least a month, maybe 2 by the time they get to it, order parts, etc etc etc.

Only 40 hours huh. damn. at least mine lasted 100 hours.

Get a 300x and be done with it if its an option.

By your screen name I can only assume you had issues with an Ultra too. Yes, I live in FL. What happened in your case? Any advice you can give me?

I want to go into this prepared...

well, us lucky people in Florida had a LIMIT OF LIABILITY CLAUSE in the extended warranty. Not all had it but it depends when you bought the policy. From 2007 to late 2009 I think, the clause existed. Then later they changed it and it does not exist.
    This basically means they will only pay up to the value of the ski at time of repairs.
    Lets say your ski has 7k in repairs required and they value it at 6k, you pay 1K out of pocket.
    Lets say ski breaks again and needs another repair a few months later. No More warranty because you used it up.
    If you have this clause, I would fix it and sell it right away, or trade on a new 300x.

Purchased mine 06/29/09. Revision date on warranty form on Kawasaki website is 6/27/09....So in theory I should be OK. Looks like I have the old contract form though.....

If things get nasty, I'll just sue them or demand they give me a new ski.

I am tired of these "Kinda Warranties"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information