Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

98 Sea Doo GSX Ltd. long beep every one minute

I have a 1998 Sea Doo GSX Limited. Bought it last year and has ran like a champ, however the low oil, fuel gauges and VTS have not worked since I've had it. On the VTS, I replaced the fuse and it worked for about a minute, before blowing the fuse again. It is set in the middle and as this is my wife's ski, we are fine with that.

In March 2011, after installing a fresh new battery and after starting the engine it gives a long (about 3 second) beep right after startup. Then it does the same loud 3 second beep every one minute (almost exactly every 60 seconds).

My mechanic at the time said not to worry, the new battery was probably just not sufficiently charged. Since then I've fully charged the battery and every time I take it out, it gives this beep every one minute. It starts fine and nothing is displayed, there is no 12V Low warning.

I called my new mechanic and friend (who I would highly recommend) said he wasn't too sure, but to throw it out here and maybe somebody would have dealt with it and know where to start.

If it weren't for the beep, you wouldn't know anything was wrong. This old dog accelerates like a champ and tops out at 60 (according to the digital speedometer).

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    On mine,..it beeped like that for LOW OIL or LOW FUEL only

+1
    Maybe the fuel float has stopped floating and is sending a low fuel signal to the MPEM. The fuel gauge won't show this as it doesn't work but the MPEM thinks it's empty and gives you the long beep. Most of the time the fuel floats stop working but this could also be happening because of the oil tank float.

Try unplugging the fuel sender to see if this stops the beep.

sea-one and canuck, thanks for the posts, it sounds like you are both thinking it is low fuel/oil warning. I'm 95% sure the fuel float has been bad since I bought it and with the age definitely a chance they could both be bad. So I looked up the MPEM wiring diagram (page 412 of the shop manual) at sea-doo.net and just to make sure I'm unhooking the right wires it would appear to be 2-3, 2-4, 2-5, and 2-6. Is that correct?

+1
    I would not remove the wires from the large multiplex connector at the MPEM.

Do it the easy way, pull the front storage bin and look for the Pink and Pink/Black wires from the fuel sender unit, unplug the two wire connector.

The oil sender is Blue and Blue/Black, more than likely it's the fuel sender as I have never heard any problems with the oil sender units failing.

canuck, thanks for telling me about the quick disconnects. I did the fuel sensor first and no luck. I then left it disconnected and did the oil sensor next. No luck, still doing it. Can anybody tell me if it is possibly an issue with the battery I'm using? It has a Super Start - Power Sport AGM Battery, Part #ETX16 from OReilly auto part. It is a 12 V 19A battery. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by chad4667 View Post
    canuck, thanks for telling me about the quick disconnects. I did the fuel sensor first and no luck. I then left it disconnected and did the oil sensor next. No luck, still doing it. Can anybody tell me if it is possibly an issue with the battery I'm using? It has a Super Start - Power Sport AGM Battery, Part #ETX16 from OReilly auto part. It is a 12 V 19A battery. Thanks.

Check the temp sensor.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by chad4667 View Post
    Chad i think you have to make a jumper wire as so the mpem see's the signal input

Rumrunner...and I do love rum...just had a couple of em' mixed with coke. Is the temp sensor something I can just disconnect or is there some other way I need to be checking it. When you say the temp sensor are you saying the air temperature sensor? For the air temp sensor I'm showing it to be a black and white wire and a white and TA wire...not sure what color TA is.

sea-one, a jumper wire for what the mpem to see what signal input? Used to have a friend from good old waxahachie!

I just got done checking all of the fuses, the only fuse that was out was the VTS, I went ahead and replaced it, but that one has gone out since day one. I also disconnected the Speed and Water Temperature sensor PU-YL, TA-OR and BK-OR wires at the disconnect. As best my memory serves, the digital speedometer has not been working anyways. I started up and got the same beep, so that eliminates those. I also tried disconnecting the entire Connector #3 from the MPEM, but when I put the key on, there were no beeps, so that didn't do any good either.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information