Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Switch from pre-mix back to injection

I just bought a 98 ZXi 1100 and the previous owner has been running pre-mix. I would like to swap back to injection but don't know where to start. The man is no longer alive so I can not ask him anything. Can anyone helop me with a place to start? The tank is no longer in the boat but I do have it.
    Thanks, Dustin

+1
    You'll need the tank, pump, and hoses. You can look in one of the online parts manuals to find mounting hardware for the tank and pump. Use polyurethane hose, 1/4" ID for the supply line, 1/8" ID for the lines from the pump to the carbs. Make sure you hold the hose up, then lower it in such a manner as to keep air bubbles out of it when attaching it to the pump. You can also use a hypodermic needle to fill the small lines. Secure all the lines with stainless steel safety wire. Bleed any air out of the pump by loosening the Phillips bleeder screw until oil runs out. Since you're running pre-mix, it would be a good idea to keep running it for a while until you verify that the injection system is functioning.

Don't buy a new pump! You can find them on Ebay all the time. There are probably people here or on PWCToday that will give you one that they've removed to convert to pre-mix.

Oh, yea, while you're working on the front of the engine, remove the cooling line that runs to the stator housing (where the oil pump mounts) and try blowing through it. They seem to clog up easily.

Should I assume the pump that I have is junk? No big deal to buy another one, just don't want to ruin the engine and pre-mix for me is not necessary.

I bought this at an estate sale, and no one knew anything about it including me. It was cheap so I jumped on it.

The electrical box is toast. Anyone know what years are compatible?

+1
    You didn't say you had the pump. I would guess that if you bought the pump with the JetSki,it probably fits.

What's wrong with the electrical box?

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    You didn't say you had the pump. I would guess that if you bought the pump with the JetSki,it probably fits.

What's wrong with the electrical box?
    Sorry for the confusion. The pump is still attached, but the tank was out of the boat. Is it possible the pump is bad from being run dry?

One of the coil leads seal was corrupted and allowed water in the box. It is full of rust and I am not getting any power to anything. Most of what I can tell is pretty corroded.

+1
    So, the pump was left on the engine but the tank was removed? In that case, there might be damage to the pump. I'd probably try it, along with pre-mix. If you find that it pumps about a gallon of oil for every 50 gallons of fuel, it's probably OK.

I just finished re-working an electrical box that had gotten some water in it. I've found that most of the damage is the quick connectors, not the actual components themselves. If you can clean the connectors or change them out, it will probably work. You can buy replacement seals from Kawasaki, but not the connectors. You can use automotive connectors with shrink wrap or vinyl tubing secured with tie-wraps.

Yes the pump was left on. I figured it may be toast. This is my first Kawi. I am amazed home simple the injector setup is compared to my Seadoo.

I am going to pull the box out and look at it more closley, but I do know the starter relay is bad. I will post up some pics later today.

So should I run with 50:1 pre-mix? If the pump is work will I be fouling plugs with that much oil?

Thanks, for all your help
    Dustin

+1
    I'd bet that if you replace the starter relay and clean the rest of the connections, it'll be fine.

I'd run 50:1 pre-mix and watch the oil level drop in the reservoir. You might foul the plugs if you let it idle, so run it fairly hard and carry spare plugs.

Just my 2 cents, but I for one would stay with the pre-mix. Only way I wouldn't run pre-mix is if the craft was under warranty. I have seen many a blown ski because the oil pump failed and the first sign of failure was complete failure.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by peach View Post
    I have seen many a blown ski because the oil pump failed and the first sign of failure was complete failure.
    I have NEVER heard of a Mikuni oil pump failure. NEVER. They are used on millions of PWCs and tens of millions of motorcycles. The HOSES can fall off or split, but the pumps just don't fail. On some 'Skis (Ultra 150), you virtually CAN'T convert to pre-mix.

By the way, converting to pre-mix is NOT foolproof. Aside from mixing calculation errors, if a carb gets plugged up, not only does that cylinder run lean (i.e. HOT), but it's not getting enough oil to boot!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information