Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nog getting full thrust under throttle

Rode for 2.5 hours yesterday, with a bit of jumping due to plenty of traffic on the water. Ski was running great and has been for the last 5 weekends we've been out. Come to slow down in a no wake zone - get out of it and then back on the throttle and it revs up and hits the limiter with no problem. Just doesn't get up out of the water like it did. Half throttle gets up to speed and planed out after a moment. Per the speed-o never could get over about 35mph on water - usually runs 55 or so on glass. this is a 96 xp. I have not checked the intake grate for trash. Thought about doing a compression test, but motor sounds and feels strong (no difference). Is this a wear ring thing? I'm sure the motor and wear ring are feeling it by this point...this is the third year I've owned it and have never put rings in it or messed with the wear ring. Fuel line and computer replacements only.

Thanks for any/all help. - Brandon

+1
    Sounds like seaweed in the intake grate check that before anything else .. Ive owned my 97 xp for about 7 yeas and never had a problem with the wear ring.. Y do u think urs is bad after 3 years ?

Quote Originally Posted by svtnos View Post
    Sounds like seaweed in the intake grate check that before anything else .. Ive owned my 97 xp for about 7 yeas and never had a problem with the wear ring.. Y do u think urs is bad after 3 years ?
    I got on a creeper and checked it out this morning - nothing in there. the prop looks dinged up but have nothing to compare it too since I don't know what it looked like before today. the one on my GSI looks better than the xp. I dont remember hitting anything yesterday though. I though wear ring was like an everso often general maintenance thing if I remember reading from the past. No?

if it helps with the equation - I greased axle bearings on trailer yesterday and while there greased the pto shaft. The boot after just looking at them that fills up with that grease were you can watch the shaft move in and out is TIGHT. So is the one for the GSI. I haven't greased them but once this year and that was when I got them out of storage. At least 5 rides on them since.

Check over your grate/ intake really really good. Look foreward and back as far as possible. I have seen fishing line balled up the thickness of 2" - this will do exactly what you have noted. Also can you remember how shallow the water was in the "no-wake" zone.. could have sucked up some sand and done damage to your screw and ring. If nothing found, you need to pull the pump apart. That will be the tried and true answer. Your impeller should have very little clearance against the ring. There is a water sports business in /near fort myers fl that swaps your impeller for a new one for only $50, and a new (no return of old ring necessary) delnor wear ring for same.

Quote Originally Posted by mainepilot View Post
    Check over your grate/ intake really really good. Look foreward and back as far as possible. I have seen fishing line balled up the thickness of 2" - this will do exactly what you have noted. Also can you remember how shallow the water was in the "no-wake" zone.. could have sucked up some sand and done damage to your screw and ring. If nothing found, you need to pull the pump apart. That will be the tried and true answer. Your impeller should have very little clearance against the ring. There is a water sports business in /near fort myers fl that swaps your impeller for a new one for only $50, and a new (no return of old ring necessary) delnor wear ring for same.

I'll check it again. The no wake zone was not shallow and mostly filled with river rock at that area. we did have to wait for another boat to pass so that might have occured at that point. To get the pump off is it just the four nuts on the rear? undo steering and trim linkages and have at it? Any speacial pullers needed? Also - terminology limited here - I can see the "prop" - I assume the impeller is in the pump housing? What is the "screw"

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhilton2v View Post
    I'll check it again. The no wake zone was not shallow and mostly filled with river rock at that area. we did have to wait for another boat to pass so that might have occured at that point. To get the pump off is it just the four nuts on the rear? undo steering and trim linkages and have at it? Any speacial pullers needed? Also - terminology limited here - I can see the "prop" - I assume the impeller is in the pump housing? What is the "screw"
    yes its just the four bolts and the linkage for steering and trim. our going to have to wiggle and pull to get the seal to break but it comes right off. nothing special needed but metric wrenches. yes the prop is the impeller and once you pull the pump the prop comes with it. the prop is threaded in the pump. I think that he was refering to the prop for the term "screw"

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    yes its just the four bolts and the linkage for steering and trim. our going to have to wiggle and pull to get the seal to break but it comes right off. nothing special needed but metric wrenches. yes the prop is the impeller and once you pull the pump the prop comes with it. the prop is threaded in the pump. I think that he was refering to the prop for the term "screw"
    I pulled the four bolts and the intake grate. Nothing to be found. I felt the prop and it was beat up on the side that spins towards the water. Sound like a wear ring problem so far? Can I file the prop down? Will it unbalance it if I do so?

Put it back in the water today to see if symptons persisted. They did. Put it back on the trailer and came home - pulled pump. the gaket between pump and where it seats to the hull of course tore. I assume the wear ring is between the housing and prop? It was eat up as well. The prop really has some damage on the lead edge. also the "seal" that sits on the splines of drive shaft did look so great. Parts list? Prop removal - I believe I'll be needing one? Recommendations on where to buy? Any advice is apprecited - pm me if the need to recommend a place to buy is required. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information