Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SLT700 spark

SLT700 spark

My 700 is not producing spark and I read the very useful link on the thread posted by The Joker re his 750. Are the colours and values shown on that chart applicable to the 700's as well?I've done all the checks prior to checking the resistance values on the stator. The motor turns over fine.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Not positive about the values being the same, but most likely. Check the electrical box for broken/shorted wires. And also look for rust/corrosion on the circuit board, top and bottom. This may be dumb, but did you try the reset button? If all check to be good, you may need a CDI. There isn't really a test to check it.

SLT700 spark

Thanks Xlint.Everything looks surprisingly clean and as a precaution, I cleaned ground and hot terminals, checked resistance on plug caps and wire but now need to look at what's coming out of the flywheel housing to see what's happening in there.I should have pulled the flywheel and checked the stator while the motor was out, but patience has never been a strong point.Any sign of the shaft yet?

SLT700 spark

Forgot to mention: I once had a 650 which would mysteriously lose and regain the spark and after laboriously removing flywheel, checking stator etc found it was the circuit board making contact with the metal water-proof box due to insufficent clearance. Solved the problem by cutting a tupperware plastic lid and using it to insulate the board from the case.Problem solved and one which I'll check out before the more difficult job

+1
    No sign of the parts yet. Checking the stator can be done without removing anything. Just using an ohm meter in your elec. box you can check the stator. Do you have a manual to check specs? If not, let me know I can post specs for you out of my manual. It is important that you ground your plugs when you crank the engine when checking for spark. Damage can occur if you don't. If you eliminate all the other parts of being "good" that just leaves the CDI. Let's see what the vets on this site have to say about this. It shouldn't matter too much, but you should let everyone know you ride in salt water.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraf-T View Post
    Forgot to mention: I once had a 650 which would mysteriously lose and regain the spark and after laboriously removing flywheel, checking stator etc found it was the circuit board making contact with the metal water-proof box due to insufficent clearance. Solved the problem by cutting a tupperware plastic lid and using it to insulate the board from the case.Problem solved and one which I'll check out before the more difficult job
    How did you ever figure that out? That would make a mechanic go insane!

SLT700

I noticed a small arc between the box and the block when they were lying close together and decided to check what was behind the board where I noticed some small scorch marks on the case.I question the wisdom of a metal box with all those connectors inside. Plastic would surely be cheaper and more corrosion resistant??
    If you could dig up those specs, I'd appreciate it.
    Last edited by Kraf-T; 12-02-2006 at 03:50 PM. Reason: spell

SLT700 spark

We have lift-off!! Just trimmed the ends of the HT leads and made sure they were screwed in tight and she fired right up.

+1
    Nice

+1
    Glad to hear. Do you still need stator specs?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information