Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Just bought an 04 RXP 84 hours all stock... mod recommendations?

Title says it all, without doing a whole lot of research, what does one usually start with modifications for performance of course cheapest first

Today was a BUSY day at the lake, no calm water and it mananged a 67.3 on the GPS, but man is it jumpy! Beat the hell out of me I sure hope that was just because today of all days on the weekend of all weekends is the worst time for a PWC.

I got an extra thing of sea doo oil and the oil was just changed last season before winterization, so it's good for a whole riding season the guy tells me. What else should I check and inspect etc?

I look forward to the replies.
    Jared

+1
    First thing to do is get that Super Charger out...It has the old ceramic clutches and will destroy a motor if they let go...Now seeing your at 84 hours I would just have the whole charger rebuilt...It is recommended to have the SCers rebuilt at 100 hours and seeing your gonna need new clutches anyway you would be better off just rebuilding the whole thing..Kill 2 birds with one stone....the new rebuild kits come with everything needed including the new steel clutches...Also on the 04s the valves were an issue..I would look into a set of new updated valves...

Hmm... guess it's for sell.

Maybe I'm misinformed but that sounds like a bunch of money and I'm spent out already after buying this since it was funded by the sale of my other PWCs. Just what kind of money are we talking here and can I do it myself? I've rebuilt my ultra 150's top end before and blueprinted it's jetpump but this 4tec is a whole nother ballgame to me I have to familiarize myself with it and the last thing I want to do is pay someone a bunch more money (that doesn't currently exist) to do something I could inevitably do myself. It ran great today, and I stopped it by our seadoo dealer and I was told the ceramic clutches wouldn't be a problem, or 'shouldn't' be a problem when under normal riding conditions and advised against changing them out as I asked about that after reading of the "washers" on the net. They said they have been known problematic when the ski is over-reved which usually occurs when it's out of water. If it's up for a bunch of money just to get it reliable, well then it may not be for me but I hope that's not the case. I thought 84 hours was low, especially for an 04 all I've seen had much more then that?

Not to sound so judgemental, but I purchased one in tip top shape, so well maintained to enjoy it and not have to do much, I was looking for simple mods, like grates, plates, sponsons etc not major stuff like supercharger overhaul just yet. Can I enjoy what's left of the season and perhaps look into the SC rebuild later... I need to know what to save up for this...

Looks like a complete rebuild kit is $300 yeah not happening right now. What about just the washers can I buy them somewhere? Are they fairly easy for a mechanically compitent individual to replace (though knows nothing of 4tec technology just yet). Is there a tutorial for replacement somewhere with step by step instructions?

By valves I'm assuming you mean the intake and exhaust valves for the engine. It does not smoke at all, that I noticed, so I'm fairly (hopefully) certain I'm fine with that. I do not want to rip apart this motor with no recourse or reason if it's running good, though I might attempt the metal washers for the SC if fairly straightforward swapping...

Jared

Is this what I need... are there only two of them? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SEA-D...rcraftQ5fParts

Hm $70 for some washers sounds a but funny to me! (NOT funny at all really!)

+1
    They have problems breaking the valves. You need to pull the head and change the valves. While you are at it change the timing chain also. It is going to be about $1,000 if you do it all your self.

Quote Originally Posted by jcc011185 View Post
    Looks like a complete rebuild kit is $300 yeah not happening right now. What about just the washers can I buy them somewhere? Are they fairly easy for a mechanically compitent individual to replace (though knows nothing of 4tec technology just yet). Is there a tutorial for replacement somewhere with step by step instructions?

By valves I'm assuming you mean the intake and exhaust valves for the engine. It does not smoke at all, that I noticed, so I'm fairly (hopefully) certain I'm fine with that. I do not want to rip apart this motor with no recourse or reason if it's running good, though I might attempt the metal washers for the SC if fairly straightforward swapping...

Jared

Yeah looks like this ones going up for sale. I thought I read they were reliable... with that low of hours and $1000 yeah not so interested in all of that... I guess I will have to sell it for the slower more reliable honda my only other option in my price range.

Let's put it another way... when did seadoo fix all their bad shit? What year is safe for me to buy or is it any?

Jared

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc011185 View Post

Jared
    hey jared,yea you need to just sell it cause these tips these guys give you are NOT suggestions,this is nessary for the 04's and 05's or your going to jack up a 3k motor
    goodluck

dont let all these guys scare you. yes it is recommended that you do this stuff but if you dont, dont worry. I have an 04 rxp too. 125ish hours. Yes i would highly recommend changing the supercharger and doing it yourself, easy to do and not hard at all. I am semi mechanical and had it out in a few hours. Shipped to Jerry and had it rebuilt in a few days. The valves and everything some have problems some dont. Either your lucky or not basically. I never changed mine and never had problems. I put a new supercharger in a 70 hrs before I had issues with the ceramics. Besides that just gas and go every year. Oil change and winterized every year.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaserxp215 View Post
    dont let all these guys scare you. yes it is recommended that you do this stuff but if you dont, dont worry. I have an 04 rxp too. 125ish hours. Yes i would highly recommend changing the supercharger and doing it yourself, easy to do and not hard at all. I am semi mechanical and had it out in a few hours. Shipped to Jerry and had it rebuilt in a few days. The valves and everything some have problems some dont. Either your lucky or not basically. I never changed mine and never had problems. I put a new supercharger in a 70 hrs before I had issues with the ceramics. Besides that just gas and go every year. Oil change and winterized every year.
    Yea,he could sell it now for what he paid for it OR blow the motor and sell it for $1500

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information