Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2001 Virage 700cc (carburetor) - no start & LR-505 issue

I've been researching my no start problem. I have a 2001 Polaris Virage (700cc) and last time is was out was Sept of 2010. Buddy of my rolled in the water and the engine compartment was flooded with water. I used the bilge pump and pumped all the water and started the ski and it ran fine.

After getting home i cleaned the motor with fresh water dry it completely, started it one more time and parked it.

This weekend I go and check this and my 1996 Polaris 780 but the battery was no good and would not take charge. I switch batteries and i have zero crank while pushing the run/stop button, i ran a wire from the positive battery side to the solenoid and i got it to crank but it would not start.

So i did the LR-505 module by-pass and I got to crank with the button with and without the lanyard in but still will not start. I haven't checked for spark yet but since it cranked after the module by-pass its safe to assume that it needs to be replaced.

Searched on ebay but did not find any. Where do I buy? and does this module also dictate spark?
    Last edited by K447; 05-31-2011 at 11:12 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I would do some more diagnostics before buying a replacement LR-505 module.

With the module bypassed the engine should start. You may need to hold the Bilge button down to have spark. Lanyard in, of course.

When checking for spark, note that both spark plugs must be connected to the plug wires and both spark plugs must be in contact with the engine.

Also check cylinder compression. Was the actual engine internally flooded with water last year, or just some water sloshing around inside the hull?

BTW, exactly which model do you have? There is no such thing as a 2001 750.

There was no water in the engine, just the hull. Sorry as i don't know exactly which model I have but it's a 2001 with the red engine, 2cyl and single carb. Looking at all the connections and the wire box i can see that no water entered any electronics or the breaker button trigger.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamoz View Post
    ... 2001 with the red engine, 2cyl and single carb...
    That would be a Virage or SLH with 700cc red domestic engine

3 seat or 2 seat model?

Do the tests outlined and report back.
    Last edited by K447; 05-31-2011 at 11:15 PM.

Ok, im not getting spark, while pressing the bilge button. Maybe I didn't do the bypass correctly because it cranks with lanyard on or off. The compression is 120 on both cylinder.
    See photo below for what I did, if you can advice on what to do next I would appreciate it.

+1
    Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like some of the wires from the LR-505 module are still connected. All wires coming out of the LR-505 module should be unplugged and set aside for the LR bypass test.

Do not confuse the CDI ignition module with the LR-505 module.

With the LR module bypass the Start button will always crank the engine, regardless of lanyard. Lanyard must be in place to have spark. Both spark plugs must be connected to plug wires and both spark plugs must be in contact with the cylinder head, or you will not have spark.

Also, battery voltage while cranking must be over 10.6 volts or you will not have spark.

maybe im confused on the bypass still. Disconnected all the wire from the module, then i plugged in the black and yellow to the black wire on the module and the red/purple from the module to the tab where the other red/purple wires go. Sooo, with the wiring as stated, I put the lanyard on pushed the start/stop button, it cranked, I then pushed both the start/stop button and bilge button and the jet ski started..... yey... when i released the bilge button it shut down. So is it safe to say i need a new l/r module?? Where can I buy one? thank you again for help

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamoz View Post
    maybe I'm confused on the bypass still. Disconnected all the wire from the module, then i plugged in the black and yellow to the black wire on the module and the red/purple from the module to the tab where the other red/purple wires go.

Sooo, with the wiring as stated, I put the lanyard on pushed the start/stop button, it cranked, I then pushed both the start/stop button and bilge button and the jet ski started..... yey... when i released the bilge button it shut down. So is it safe to say i need a new l/r module??

Where can I buy one? thank you again for help

The Black/Yellow wire has nothing to do with bypassing the LR-505 module. What instructions were you following? Perhaps I need to correct something.

That said, you got the engine to run using the Start button and Bilge button. I expect if you put the LR-505 wiring back to normal the no-start problem will return. Which suggests the LR-505 is not working and needs replacement.

Parts Sources list can be found from my signature links.

Sorry i meant the black/ white. this is your method

"Find the non-LR Black/White wire and move it to the Black terminal.

Note: This is just for testing, and needs to be moved back to the Black/White terminal after the test.

Move the Red/Purple wire for the CDI to the Red/Purple terminal where all other Red/Purple wires connect.
    Edit: Alternate method is to hold the Bilge button down to supply power to the CDI through the Orange wires. Bilge pump should run with Bilge button held down, and engine should have spark when cranking. "

having a hard time finding the module. Isn't in theory a relay switch dependent of signal inputs. So wouldn't a number of properly wired relays fix the problem?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information