Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

05 RXP oil smoke from exhaust?

Well I picked up an 05 RXP with 91 hours. I fired it up quickly on the trailer before I bought it but didn't notice the smoke being anything out of the ordinary. The cold compression was between 125 and 130 on all cylinders. The oil level was low but the trailer was far from level at the time. I didn't think too much of it.

Today I added oil and checked the dipstick. Ended up putting in a full quart to get it to the bends on the stick. Put it in the water and idled out of the no wake. When I throttled up, smoke poured out of the exhaust Spy Hunter style and it was definitely oil burning. It also set off an alarm and "OIL" came up on the display. I limped it back to the trailer and called it a night.

Right now I am hoping its something as simple as valve seals. What are your thoughts on a diagnosis?

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    SUPERCHARGER seal most likley,its due for a rebuild with those hours on it then you should be good....

+1
    Any tests to run or should I just pull the SCer and inspect?

+1
    Sent it 2 Jerry or speed freaks 4 a 08 rebuild youll be good 2 go

+1
    A friend just offered me the "remains" of his X charger from his 2010 RXP-X. He upgraded his to a XX. It's my understanding that Jerry did the work. We were having a few beverages when he brought it up so I am not 100% sure what he has left from the upgrade or what I would need to complete the supercharger. He is also giving me the 42# injectors.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by HardmanGT; 06-02-2011 at 11:31 PM.

+1
    Pulled the supercharger today and found all of the hoses dripping with oil. The supercharger itself also had a lot of oil in it. I pulled the breather hose to the TOPS and it also had a lot of oil in it. I would imagine that the whole induction system and intercooler need to be flushed.

+1
    Today I pulled the intake and intercooler. Everything was loaded with oil. Between the hoses, supercharger and intake, I am guessing I dumped out about 2 quarts of oil. I don't know if the previous owner just added waay too much oil or if there is something else causing this.

I PM's Jerry and he stated that the number one cause of excesses oil is overfilling. I am hoping this is the case and am stepping away from thinking the supercharger seal is the culprit for the time being.

I have pulled the head and the motor. The valves and bores look good. I am going to replace the valves with the newer version and thought it would be a good time to to the oil mod, head oil pressure jet upgrade and PTO bolts. Anything else you guys can think of while I'm in there?

Sounds exactly like what happened to mine. The secondary oil pump has failed and not pullintg the oil down from the top of the motor, and in turn is pouring out of the tops valve. If you pull the breather hose and idle the ski, oil will pour out the vent. Hopefully this helps out.

+1
    I guess that would explain the oil alarm going off. What did you do to cure it?

+1
    Is this smoke your seeing gray or blue? I have alittle gray smoke coming out of my 2009 rxp-x with 59 hours on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information