Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Angry BRAND NEW FZS rattling already... WTF it sounds awful, pulsating too!

I have 10 hours on my 2011 fzs and ive noticed the whole time since ive owned it that it vibrates an awful lot before 4000 rpm... And for that matter seems to run quite rough under that rpm, it feels like its not natural... is this normal for alot of vibration and resonation to happen under 4000 or so rpm?

Now the big issue is that today i noticed @9 hours of run time an awful tinny sounding rattle comming from the ski. I took both seats off and noticed it seems to be comming from the waterbox, or just behind it. If i move the waterbox around it still makes noise but usually changes in pitch. It sounds like a heat shield rattling on headers.

Theres nothing rubbing on it that i can see, its strapped down, and for god sakes it only has 10 damn hours on it!!!! The kicker is, it only makes this sound when your at a specific rpm, and what do you know?!?! That magic area of rpm's is between 3000-4000 rpm when the whole ski vibrates. But like i said, i dont think this is a related issue. The ski might normally vibrate, but this sound is god awful and it does it in or out of water.

Does anybody have experience with this issue? Im riding it tomorrow on memorial day since its just a rattle, but its going back to the dealer tuesday and im already mad at them for unrelated issues. It just sounds nasty... are there any baffles inside the waterbox that could possibly break? Thanks!

I have not took the waterbox apart but it should not have much of anything in it. sounds strange....i never heard anything from my waterbox.

+1
    It sounds like its comming from inside the waterbox, or it could be the actual waterbox rattling on the hull, maybe some of the rubber dampers on the hull shifted.... I sure hope its not something else like the intermediate bearing or something, but it really sounds as if its comming from the waterbox.

+1
    see, thats what happends when u dont ride with us cool people.

+1
    lol come on! i was going to come up but you never texted me back... and i was thinking about going tomorrow... i think were gona hit up branford instead. its about a 35 min ride from the mouth of the housatonic. pretty nice place, are u going out?

+1
    My friend has an identical fzr to me and his waterbox rubs the side of his hull and vibrates a little bit at 4000. Mine doesn't do though. Most rattling on the fz comes from the gauge cluster or the side cowlings. I honestly doubt something is wrongwith your waterbox. Go ride another fzr/fzs and see how it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Most rattling on the fz comes from the gauge cluster or the side cowlings.
    Mine does at lower RPM's...Very annoying.

+1
    I feel better about the other rattles now, but trust me this is anything but normal. Its a horrible sound, ill take a video of it today and put it on here, as long as the weather holds out.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    I snapped the silver bezels off my gauges last weekend. I put some self adhesive foam strips under them. Reinstalled the rings and no mo noise.

+1
    nunnink23; I get some rattles in the hood area now and then but I have never heard anything like you describe; I'm sure your dealer will resolve it. Now stop whining and get out on the water!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information