Starter bendix gear question???

I have an 06 4tec I just did the 08 spec SC oiler upgrade and xcharger upgrade as well. Drilling and tapping no problem, lined up oiler tube to SC before reinstalling PTO cover.

At first the PTO cover did not want to go back on. Removed and looked for cause to find that gear on starter bendix was not locating itself into groove on the shaft. I fiddled around with it some by turning the gear pulling it back out and in a few times until everything finally slipped back into place. I confirmed that the three washers on the starter shaft are in place.

My question is does this gear/shaft need to be installed in a specific way to be timed with anything? Or am I okay to button her back up?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009Sea-dooServiceManual.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	240493  

Thanks Beerdart but I am not sure that answers my question though....

What happened was when the PTO cover was removed it pulled the starter bendix/gear/shaft out with it until it hit the flywheel. It could not be pulled out all the way without removing the flywheel so I just turned and wiggled it until it went all the way back in.
    Two of the washers were still on the starter shaft and one was stuck to the PTO cover so I know they went back in the right way.
    I am thinking I am okay but just wanted to be sure before I press the start button...

Yep your fine.

Thanks for your time.

Similar issue...

Reinstalled PTO houseing the first time and everything went back in just fine.... except i forgot the friggin oil strainer!

Now the PTO housing won't go in all the way and I have a feeling it's cause the starter gear is out too far. I can't get it to go back in any further though. Does it look like that to you guys as well?

Edit: After checking the other jetski with the s/c off... the starter gear is def sticking out too far. How am I supposed to get it to slide on back like it should?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1374.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	242329   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1373.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	242330  

Nevermind... I got it. I see where the starter shaft has to line up with that next gear to allow it to slide on back.

Thread Information