+1

D plate & Wave eaters question

Hello everyone,
    So I have a 2003 XLT 1200 with 148 hrs. My friend who is great mechanic on these and has done several and has 3 himself stand ups, 3 seaters, etc. re built the top end because I had middle cylinder go. While he was in there of course we did the other pistons. Out on weekend about 3 hrs breaking it in with no issues thus far its running better than ever.

Now here is the question. Is a D plate and wave eaters absolutely necessary? Should I have him go back in and install these? If I do is it now a big deal since everything was put back together. As you can see I am a newbie and maybe putting them on will have nothing to do with cylinders?

Thanks everyone and have a great summer...finally warm here in Ontario Canada...except for water that takes a bit still.

+1
    Wave eater clips take 15-20 minutes and you absolutely need them.
    D-plate install takes 1 - 2 hours. If catcon fails it won't ruin motor, just fall apart and block exhaust.
    These, along with switching to pre-mix, are the first "reliability" mods that most everyone does to their 1200 & 1300 PV's.

I've got a 99 gp 800, I guess I need a d plate? What exactly does this do and where would it be located? Thanks chris

+1
    I don't think any gp800's or gp800r"s have catalyst assemblies so no need for d-plate.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by toyterrific View Post
    Wave eater clips take 15-20 minutes and you absolutely need them.
    D-plate install takes 1 - 2 hours. If catcon fails it won't ruin motor, just fall apart and block exhaust.
    These, along with switching to pre-mix, are the first "reliability" mods that most everyone does to their 1200 & 1300 PV's.
    +1

On stock boats I usually dont go premix unless the customer requests. Securing the oil lines is the key

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisfrost86 View Post
    I've got a 99 gp 800, I guess I need a d plate? What exactly does this do and where would it be located? Thanks chris
    no cats on that one, just the 1200 and 1300 powervalve motors

Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    +1

On stock boats I usually dont go premix unless the customer requests. Securing the oil lines is the key

no cats on that one, just the 1200 and 1300 powervalve motors
    I just picked up the ski and I want to keep it stock for a while. I plan on doing the clips are the couplers necessary on a stock boat and what are people using to secure the oil lines?

+1
    good zip ties, stainless tie wire, oetiker clamps, ect

+1
    So D-plate & chip are in and looks like I might have to do it myself with help from buddy who is a certified car mechanic. I am also going to put the wave eaters on. Is there a recommendation anyone can give as to step by step directions and torque specs for the PV covers and things like when putting exhaust back together is there gaskets required? I read something about having copper spray gasket on hand?

Thanks as always guys.

I installed d-plates in my two 2006 GP1300R's along with chips from riva and get temp warning light. Any idea how to solve ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jhagman View Post
    I installed d-plates in my two 2006 GP1300R's along with chips from riva and get temp warning light. Any idea how to solve ?
    My Yamah dealer did the decat for me and insisted the chips caused more problems than they solved. He always leaves the stock sensor in place and says that causes less problems.
    I have put a few hours on the ski since he did the work and so far so good....

Thread Information