+1

Raider 700 62T high speed miss

I just did testing on a '95 Raider 62T that was " missing & cutting out" at high speeds. I guess the stator needs replaced but I want a second opinion.
    First before I could even check it the battery only had 3v, almost totally dead. Obviously I was suspicious of the charging system.

Charge coil 41-44vac when cranking 60-64vac at idle but drops as RPM increases down to just under 30vac Ohms test only reads 125-175 for an instant when leads are first touched then "open". Black has good continuity to ground and brn/whi is not shorted to grnd.

Pulsar coil about 3-3.5 pulsing, but this is with a mid priced digital UEI meter
    Pulsar ohms are 15.1

Lighting coil reads about 4v while cranking (again UEI digital) and shows 16.4 while running. Ohms read 1.2 with no leakage to ground.

So.......is the charge coil toast?? Thanks for helping.

+1
    Test DC voltage at the battery when revving it up. Should be 13.5 to 14.5 volts. If you are getting 16.4 at the battery when running, you have a bad regulator/rectifier. Are you sure you're not just bouncing off the rev limiter??

Oh yeah, get a new battery......

+1
    I'm pretty sure that's all fine. Customers machine. Put in a new battery last week and rode it for quite a while before it started acting up. Then when I start checking things out the battery only has 3v and I can't get an ohm reading from the charge coil on the stator. I'll check the voltage tomorrow at the battery while running but shouldn't AC voltage at the charge coil increase with RPM and not decrease?

+1
    OK battery at 12.8v, at idle 12.8v, at 5000 rpm 12.8v. Never changes or goes up. Maybe a bad regulator??

+1
    Definitely a charging system issue. Your Charge coil test results seem kinda funky. I'd almost think the problem is there.

+1
    I think the charge coil is definately an issue since it won't ohm out. I believe it has a broken winding. I guess I'll have to replace it before I can confirm any other problems.

+1
    The charge coil doesn't charge the battery, it charges the capacitor in the CDI. The lighting coil charges the battery. It puts out AC voltage to the reg/rec which converts it to DC and regulates the voltage going to the battery. Since the machine has to run for awhile before failing, it could very well be a charge coil with a broken winding that doesn't open up until it gets warm and expands, that doesn't however explain the voltage at the battery, which pretty much appears to be battery voltage. It sure sounds like you need a stator, and possibly a reg/rec. The best way to check the charge coil is to ohm it before you ride and then ride it until it starts to fail, then ohm it again and see how far out of spec it is. Then again it should ohm out consistantly and not go "open" after connecting the meter.

I assume you are disconnecting all stator wires in the E-box before ohm testing??

+1
    Yes, all disconnected for ohms testing. I'm sure the charge coil has a broken winding.

Thread Information