Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Jet Ski Fishing Thirty Miles Offshore Cape Hatteras

Seventeen friend's and family rented a beach house in Waves, North Carolina. Waves is close to Rodanthe and is about 30 miles from Hatteras Inlet.

Friday my wife and I dropped the jet ski in and ran along the ocean front from Hatteras Inlet to the shoals off of The Point by Hatteras Light. We saw only two cobia, I managed to catch a nice citation sea turtle that I released. Ha! It gave a good fight before finally coming close enough for me to get my hook out. He must of been pretty old cause the barnacles on him were huge.

The second day three of us, Todd West of Gloucester Virginia and Bryant and I of Poquoson Va. Dropped our jet skis in around 0515 hrs at Teaches Lair. We headed thirty miles offshore to the "Rockpile" and trolled and bottom fished catching Mahi, Amberjack, Sea Bass and Triggerfish. It was a bumpy trip out so we made poor time getting out, but the ride back was a little better with seas behind us. We got back to the ramp around 1500hrs, 10 hours and about 80 miles in the saddle was a full day.

The third day I was the only man left standing, Todd and Bryant had a little too much sun. I left the inlet around 0700 hrs and went about 18 miles offshore and fished a couple wrecks. I broke in my new Atlas reel catching fish non stop in about 90 feet of water. I caught over 20 Triggers, Sea Bass, Amberjack and Oystertoads. I also saw some Cobia, Baracuda, Sheepshead and Spadefish. You can see how I was playing Etch-A-Sketch with my GPS, I worked over the wreck for almost four hours. The weather was near perfect and I made the return trip of 18 miles in 25 minutes at about 42 miles per hour.

I had a fantastic weekend with family and friends and on the water. Here are some of the pictures I took this weekend.

+1
    Your pics, stories, and adventures are awesome !
    What camera set up are you using most of the time?

Quote Originally Posted by jetskibrian View Post

I think this picture answered the question I had in the other thread.

+1
    i love the OBX

+1
    aren't pwc's banned off the coast of the outter banks? I use to ride around ocracoke and a little north of there. Last time I was down my Dad told me they had banned them around the coast areas.

+1
    They are not banned but you can not use a federal ramp. I was using a private ramp.

Your ski motivated me to buy a 2000 GP 1200 R and outfit it for fishing here in Eureka, CA Been great !! I have taken it 10 miles off the coast and caught many limits of salmon. Lots of bay fishing and lots of lake fishing. Thankx for the motivation !!!!!!!

wow. What a setup. I've been out that far in my old Grady White, but never a jet ski. Man, I'm not sure I would have the nerve to do that. Great pics!

awesome pictures man making me jealous I wish my ski was set up to go out fishing!

Nice setups!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information