Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Totally Stumped

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pikeville NC
    Posts
    71

    Totally Stumped

    After having the intake manifold upgrade sleeve sitting on my work bench since it came in, I decided to tackle it over the weekend.

    '09 FZR with 11 hrs, bone stock except for the Riva grate, PPK and Tommy Jordan's exhaust mod. No issues whatsoever.

    I opted to pull the intake rather than fighting the ribbon w/o being able to see what I was doing. A little tight but pretty straight forward... Disconnect the fuel line to the rail, loosen the I/C to TB hose, disconnect all necessary harness connectors and pull the intake. Replaced the ribbon and put it all back together. The motor fired right up, no warning lights and no abnormal sounds.

    Put the boat in the water, again fired up without issue, let it warm up for a few minutes and then I started to get on it. Ran great for about 15 minuted, then the motor bogged to an idle and died. Attempted to fire it up and it would run for a split second and die, although on one particular attempt it ran for about 10 seconds but would not rev past idle. I checked what little I could check while I was adrift and could not see a thing wrong. In addition, no check eng. light, no warnings, and no abnormal sounds...just the typical feel of lack of fuel.

    Got towed back to the ramp and back in the garage...disappointed and disgusted! Had the option to hook up the old GP 800 and get back in the water, but just decided to hang it up and have a few beers with friends.

    Anyway, by the time I got home, the motor had had the chance to cool a bit and I started checking again. The plugs were totally clean and uniform in color but bone dry. A quick look down the plug holes did not show any signs of a lean condition or overheating. I pulled the fuel supply line from the rail and it filled a jar in nothing flat!

    I reconnected the line, attempted to start it and it fired right up like nothing ever happened.

    I've checked after all my work and cannot see anything that sticks out... Any thoughts?


  2. #2
    THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,194
    +1
    536
    Make sure the map sensor vacuum hose in the back of the intake manifold is on all the way. Because that will cause that.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pikeville NC
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    Make sure the map sensor vacuum hose in the back of the intake manifold is on all the way. Because that will cause that.
    Thanks for the tip, Jim! I'll go check right now.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pikeville NC
    Posts
    71
    That doesn't appear to be the issue. The hose is fully seated to the MAP and to the underside of the manifold. No visual cuts or splits and both clamps are in place... Would've been sweet if it was simple as that! Back to the drawing board....

  5. #5
    lets race.... mikeFZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,132
    +1
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    Make sure the map sensor vacuum hose in the back of the intake manifold is on all the way. Because that will cause that.
    Exactly what I was gonna suggest. And make sure the map sensor is plugged in.

  6. #6
    THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,194
    +1
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    That doesn't appear to be the issue. The hose is fully seated to the MAP and to the underside of the manifold. No visual cuts or splits and both clamps are in place... Would've been sweet if it was simple as that! Back to the drawing board....
    By any chance did you check the fuel line make sure there is no kink anywhere.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pikeville NC
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    By any chance did you check the fuel line make sure there is no kink anywhere.
    No issue whatsoever as I never had to kink it. Just disconnect and push it over toward the exhaust manifold side to clear the intake.

    Mike, The map is connected and was connected when it happened....unless the map has gone bad...but I would like to see it set a code, and it hasn't.. I'm confused on this one.

  8. #8
    lets race.... mikeFZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,132
    +1
    205
    Hold down on the hour/volt button for 8 seconds to display codes. Code "01" is normal.
    When I did the manifold upgrade I forgot to tighten the clamps on the boost hose going into the throttle body which made the ski act funny.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pikeville NC
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Hold down on the hour/volt button for 8 seconds to display codes. Code "01" is normal.
    When I did the manifold upgrade I forgot to tighten the clamps on the boost hose going into the throttle body which made the ski act funny.
    Mike, would it be normal for the display not to show any codes at all? The reason I asked is because this is one of the things I did, both in the water and back home in the garage, and it did not display anything other than hours/volts. Maybe I didn't hold it down long enough... It'll definitely be the first thing I do when I get home, because not know what the hell caused this is eating me up.

    On the boost hose, I can feel the clamps and they seem tight and in place. In addition, I did not have to fight the hose in the least to get the hold-down bolt started, which tells me the coupler was seated in place. When you say "act funny", was it anything like what I described?

    I'm tempted to pull the intake back off and go thru the whole thing again, as I feel I've missed something!

  10. #10
    lets race.... mikeFZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,132
    +1
    205
    Maybe you forgot to reconnect some electrical connector? IMO check the wiring harness first. There's 2 connections in the front of the manifold that are easy to miss and then there is the connector for the throttle body.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Totally Stumped on Start for 02 4 tec. Need EXPERTS!!!!
    By Water Wonder in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-04-2011, 08:28 PM
  2. Dad totaled his truck
    By Pettee in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-15-2006, 11:13 PM
  3. Total lose flywheel?
    By John in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-25-2006, 07:32 PM
  4. MSD Total Loss
    By idizzy in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-22-2006, 02:24 AM
  5. MSD Total Loss Setting Gp1200
    By Gunner-one in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-13-2006, 11:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •