Oil leak I think I found thought I would share

So I took my ski for a ride today and the oil level flashed on I immediatly pulled the key and floated up to shore to take a look. I was down a quart or a bit more. Put oil in luckily even though I dont use any oil before I had some and a buddy had some. Ride about 10 miles to gas check it again to make sure its low again and I know it was close. Now of course I had no funnel and waves from the ocean made it hard to pour it in but I had to so I spilled some. Gas station low a quart again so I buy some and put it in on the river for the trip home. Now I notice oil all over the back of my ski. so I bring it home and after some help from a guy on the board I find dun dun dunnnnnn the dealer that put the engine in used some crappy old hose clamps on the rubber belows that is on the end of the driveshaft and it had come off. I didnt realize this had oil to it. Just thought I would share if anyone else has an oil leak that is nearly impossible too see and you arent sure.

I LUV THIS FOURM.... i just started my ski gtx sc in garage and run it for a sec after putting battery back in and noticed oil in back of mine too exactly as you said brokin hose clamps ,didnt realize it had oil to it either, is it a easy fix without taking sc off?

Is this all it will take to leak 1 hose clamp the one closest to engine is tight but the otherone is loooose as ? 03 gtxsc

I was told there are special crimp clamps like on a CV joint that is supposed to be used. Hopefully someone else will chime in and say what works well and what doesnt. My clamp was a cheapo junk one not even stainless and it was to big so it had a pretty big piece of end sticking out after tightening. I am pretty new to the 4 strokes so I wouldnt take what I say as gospel, but I was going to try a decent fitting hose clamp for now and get a new bellows and 2 new correct clamps. It is pretty expensive though considering how little it is I think around 120 - 140

+1
    The bellows wont leak oil. Its a water seal. The rubber thing in front of it will though and I'm guessing that's what your talking about. The PTO seal/bearing assembly. It has a rubber like boot almost like the bellows that clamps on the motor. I would use the special clamps there, but I think I have seen people using normal clamps.

You dont know that it would leak oil probably because you never took your drive shaft out. When the pump and driveshaft is removed to say like change the bellows or carbon seal, oil sometimes leaks out slowly. Im pretty sure you can see into back of the pto side of the motor at that time but not sure.

So yes get those clamps fixed.

+1
    Yes you can use regular Stainless Steel worm gear(hose) clamps..I use them on both my skis without any issues....

Yes that is what I meant by the bellows. I didnt know what to call it. I may just put the hose clamp (a closer to correct size stainless one) for now and get the correct parts coming.

thanks for the replys helps me out heaps and have learnt something at the same time

Thread Information