Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Virage battery damage - charging voltage too high????

I picked up a 2001 Virage with 87 hrs last month. I had it professionally serviced, carb rebuilt, new battery etc. I put 4 hours on it, ran great with no issues. This weekend after about 2 hours of riding, I went to start it and I heard a loud pop. MFI read low battery.

I pulled the battery and replaced it with another new one. I have since put 3 hours on the new battery and it runs like a champ. 11 volts at start up and 16.6 while running. what would cause a new battery to do this at start up??? (the blown up battery read 13 volts while running since day one, but it still ran great. no hesitation or stalling and there are no arc points anywhere on terminals)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo2.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	240569 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	240570

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I assume this is a carburetor engine, not fuel injected - correct?

16 volts while running is too high. Should be about 14.5 volts.

Did you measure the charging voltage with a volt meter on the battery posts?

Remove and clean the grounding bolt on the engine case, rear left corner. Also clean the bolt threads and the bolt hole, and the wire end rings. You want clean metal to metal contact when the bolt is tightened.

Also check for damaged black wires.

Next go inside the electrical box and check all connections for corrosion, loose or damage. The LR-505 module controls battery charging voltage. Make sure the black and Red/Purple wire connections are clean and tight.

If all the charging voltage is still too high then replace the LR-505 module.

looks like your battery is cracked kinda scary , if acid is present use bakeing soda to n neutralize

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I assume this is a carburetor engine, not fuel injected - correct?

16 volts while running is too high. Should be about 14.5 volts.

Did you measure the charging voltage with a volt meter on the battery posts?

Remove and clean the grounding bolt on the engine case, rear left corner. Also clean the bolt threads and the bolt hole, and the wire end rings. You want clean metal to metal contact when the bolt is tightened.

Also check for damaged black wires.

Next go inside the electrical box and check all connections for corrosion, loose or damage. The LR-505 module controls battery charging voltage. Make sure the black and Red/Purple wire connections are clean and tight.

If all the charging voltage is still too high then replace the LR-505 module.

Yes, it is the carbed engine. I did clean and check the wires after I took the cracked battery out. Everything looked ok, thats why i was stumped on this. After it "popped" when I started it, it ran for about 5 mins until the mfi read low battery. As soon as I went over half throttle, it would die and restart.

I was told that wet cell batteries are known to short out like that due to the plates inside shifting, especially in pwc's.

BTW...thanks for the baking soda tip.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by r6ridah View Post
    .. I was told that wet cell batteries are known to short out like that due to the plates inside shifting, especially in pwc's...
    Wet lead-acid batteries are not the best option for PWC. Factory sealed AGM batteries are my recommendation.

Not gel cell, AGM.

took the ski out again tonight and it ran great. volts on the mfi on start up were 10.2 and while running were ranging from 15-16 with the new (generic) wet cell battery which now has about 4 hours on it. volts still too high? i have checked/cleaned all involved wires and all look fine.

how much of a risk am i really at running at those volts? i guess my last option is to replace the LR-505 module if necessary. i have had no issues with the ski other than the original blown battery at start up. i HAVE NOT used a voltage meter to check the battery voltage.

+1
    ... Volts on the mfi on start up were 10.2 and while running were ranging from 15-16 with the new (generic) wet cell battery which now has about 4 hours on it. volts still too high? ...

... my last option is to replace the LR-505 module if necessary. i have had no issues with the ski other than the original blown battery at start up. i HAVE NOT used a voltage meter to check the battery voltage.
    Something is wrong with the voltage regulation, or with the MFI readings.

Get a half decent multi-meter and test the actual battery voltages.

If indeed the voltage is widely varying and getting above 15 volts then you need to get it fixed.

A reliable electrical system is important, not optional.

If it needs a replacement LR module, then that is what it needs.

can you post a link where i can buy an lr module for an 01 virage? i dont want to have to mess with finding a dealer for parts. i doubt it's a faulty mfi. i visually check the oil/gas tank before and after every ride, rather than trust the mfi reading. however it's dead nuts every time.

in the mean time, i am going to keep riding it until/if the battery shoots craps on me again.

+1
    can you post a link where i can buy an lr module for an 01 virage? i dont want to have to mess with finding a dealer for parts. i doubt it's a faulty mfi. i visually check the oil/gas tank before and after every ride, rather than trust the mfi reading. however it's dead nuts every time.

in the mean time, i am going to keep riding it until/if the battery shoots craps on me again.
    Thats the sprit !!!!!!! i love guys who are willing to take chances

Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    Thats the sprit !!!!!!! i love guys who are willing to take chances
    Nothing like being 5 miles from the ramp sitting on a dead ski.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information