Unhappy Grinding noise when approaching dock

Just bought a 2000 ultra and it ran fine at high speeds and slow speeds but when approaching dock to take it out it started to make a loud grinding noise. When I got home I started it for a few second s and no noise . I am guessing at this point it might be a bearing in the pump. Are these hard to fix does it mean removing engine?

+1
    That's probably what it is. If the pump hasn't been off before, it can be difficult the first time. I'd suggest you pull it yourself and let a shop replace the bearings & seals the first time. Make sure they install THREE seals (upgrade). You can get a service manual and do it yourself, just make sure you read up on shimming the pump.

Can I check the bearings by pulling the intake grate and spinning propeller by hand.

+1
    No, you'll need to remove the pump to disconnect it from the engine.

so I pulled the pump off and that was fairly easy though I think it was probaly off fairly recently. Well my stainless steel prop looks like new and spins freely and smoothly. But I did notice that the drive shaft which is still in the engine moves back and forth. Ther is also engine oil in the hull but only on the right side (throttle side). I have great compression and it runs great on the hose so Ithink the engine is fine but with looking at this pump and spinning the prop I am having doubts now that it is the prop?

+1
    The driveshaft will move back & forth, that's normal. You might put a dab of grease on the smooth section that the seal rides on when you put it back together.

These tend to leak oil from the oil reservoir where the level sensor is. You might run the tank less than full. Also, carefully inspect the oil lines to make sure they're secure and not leaking or split.

I don't know about your noise, these things make strange noises, what you're hearing may be normal.

Quote Originally Posted by frozen1 View Post
    prop looks like new and spins freely and smoothly.
    You should check the bearing by turning it with your finger while pressing firmly WITH the prop removed, and feel for any roughness.
    But if prop looks new, let's hope bearings are new as well.
    Check if the prop to the pump housing clearance as well at several different spots. Also check for high spots in the pump liner (ID) for any high spots.

You see the oil on the right side of the hull because that's where the oil lines come to the carbs. You've got a leak there.

Thread Information