2003 F12-X/T13, wont rev past 5000 RPM, and first-time questions.

Hi Everyone,
    I just picked up a 2003 F12-X with 98 hours on it. I purchased it from the second owner who appeared to have kept the machine in good condition.
    I launched the ski for the first time yesterday. The start was a little rocky, I had to work the throttle a bit to keep the ski running initially, but after warm-up it seemed ok. The issue I am having is the ski wont rev past 5000 RPM. It will stay around 5010 and 5020, about 44mph. From what I found with searching, this appears to be related to the wastegate or the solenoid. I am just looking for a little more info on this.
    I saw nitro's solenoid test, and I will check that today, but how do i check the waste-gate itself? Also, I noticed a post about a common relay that fails. Any more info on this?

Thank You Everyone!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikes88Stang View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I just picked up a 2003 F12-X with 98 hours on it. I purchased it from the second owner who appeared to have kept the machine in good condition.
    I launched the ski for the first time yesterday. The start was a little rocky, I had to work the throttle a bit to keep the ski running initially, but after warm-up it seemed ok. The issue I am having is the ski wont rev past 5000 RPM. It will stay around 5010 and 5020, about 44mph. From what I found with searching, this appears to be related to the wastegate or the solenoid. I am just looking for a little more info on this.
    I saw nitro's solenoid test, and I will check that today, but how do i check the waste-gate itself? Also, I noticed a post about a common relay that fails. Any more info on this?

Thank You Everyone!
    You should do Nitro's test on the waste gate solenoid, but the best guess on your problem is new sparkplugs, they are available from Advance Auto Parts for $11 each. The Hondas run very rich when they are cold and will foul a plug in a heartbeat if they are not allowed to warm up before shutting the down.

Ok, I did Nitro's test as follows:
    Disconnected the line out of the solenoid which had a clamp on it (It feels like it goes to a nipple in the exhaust, but didn't have a flashlight to see how it makes it to the gate). I tried to blow into the short vac line which dumps into the engine compartment with the ski off, and I could not. I started the ski and blew into the same line at idle. I felt like the solenoid was pulsing and I was barely able to get any air through. How freely should the air flow?

I build Horsepower
    +1
    It should flow freely. The WGS should be open 100% at idle.

Shawn

New WGS ordered. I will keep everyone updated on this. Thanks!

Thread Information