+1

785 Pro - First Time Out This Year

Took her out of storage this year and everything looked great. Started it up in the driveway and fired of no problem. Took it for a spin and ran like a champ. Saw all three pissers working great and had good speed, running in the 7,670 range. Got to the dock and heard a pop and it got a little louder. Pulled it onto the lift and lifted the hood. Lots of smoke in the hull area. Oh, oh?? Found the PTO pipe at the stinger really hot.

Upon further investigation, found the silicone hose that couples it to the collector split on the bottom. I also found the water line feeding the stinger ruptured. I did notice that it was black inside that particular hose before I started it for the first time. I also noticed some water spray last fall from somewhere up front, but could not located the source of the spray. Having said that, the cause of the stinger hose rupture was heat. The cause of the cooling line failure looks to be heat.

I ordered new connecting hose from McMaster-Carr and I already have replacement hose for the cooling line. What I found was the intake screen in the pump was plugged with some super fine algae, grass, whatnot. I thought it was clean last fall, but apparently not since the water line was black this spring and the hose ruptured.

The replacement hose is on order. Will have it this weekend. Plan on pulling the head to see what the wash looks like and to see if there is any other visible damage. Hopefully not.

God are these things finicky. I read somewhere where guys with on board strainers removed the pump side strainer. Is this a good idea? I have a high flow strainer in line with the cooling system on board so I don't see a real legit reason to keep the outside screen intact just for this reason.

It was a huge bummer to my weekend of riding, but a great lesson learned. ALWAYS, check your intake screen before riding. Like I said, the pissers were pissing, but as soon as I slowed down, BANG, there went the coupler hose. Hangs head in shame.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Randy posted recently that he was told by Polaris that the angled holes in that mesh screen boosted water pressure, and that it was important to be there.

That said, it seems a bunch of guys run without them.

Your 'high flow' strainer - would it have caught the fine stuff you picked out of that mesh screen?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I feel your pain Derwood.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=good+bad+ugly

Make sure your restrictors and water manifold fittings are unobstructed while you're into her this far.

Mine was all clogged with small rocks and sand. That's what lead to my rupture.

Depends on his strainer Keith. I opted to get the larger sized strainer so it doesn't clog too easily. But it does filter out most sand particles, and the stuff that gets through is tiny enough that it shouldn't cause me any issues.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Randy posted recently that he was told by Polaris that the angled holes in that mesh screen boosted water pressure, and that it was important to be there.

That said, it seems a bunch of guys run without them.

Your 'high flow' strainer - would it have caught the fine stuff you picked out of that mesh screen?
    Yes, it would have picked up the debris in caught in the mesh. I got the one that most everyone is using from our vendor here.

finicky?????????/ I have one 2000 785 that has 287 buoy hours on it and has never been apart.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    finicky?????????/ I have one 2000 785 that has 287 buoy hours on it and has never been apart.
    Same here i just checked out my buddies 97 i sold him 4 or 5 yrs ago and he has never done ANYTHING and i mean ANYTHING hell he lets it lay on shore all summer long and in the winter it's just laying in a cold shop . It's ashame because it was a SWEET 97 too.
    785Mick's has had no maintence in over 6 yrs just ride it and my 2 i sold to OldGuyin Mich have been pretty much trouble free for over the past 3yrs .
    Sorry about jacking your thread

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    Same here i just checked out my buddies 97 i sold him 4 or 5 yrs ago and he has never done ANYTHING and i mean ANYTHING hell he lets it lay on shore all summer long and in the winter it's just laying in a cold shop . It's ashame because it was a SWEET 97 too.
    785Mick's has had no maintence in over 6 yrs just ride it and my 2 i sold to OldGuyin Mich have been pretty much trouble free for over the past 3yrs .
    Sorry about jacking your thread
    It's all good. I was able to take a good look at it last night. The exhaust marks in the cooling line tells me it happened last fall as it was like that before I took it out. The silicone hose split on the bottom. I pulled the head just in case and if anything, it's still running a little rich. So, lesson learned. Check the damn screen in the pump before you ride. At least it should not take too long to make the repairs. I got extra hose in case it ever happens again to insure it doesn't happen again.

+1
    yeah check the screen and that hose isn't cheap either

Thread Information