Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1994 SL 750 - jet pump assy. damage ????

hi guys , i am new here and just got a 94 SL 750 and by reading i found all the problems that needed to be fixed before running it.

I completely went threw the fuel system, lines, tank, carbs. plugs, wires etc. great compression. and had it running great.

but who ever messed with it before me made some changes. i don't have a choke cable , only a prim bulb, and on my carbs i didn't even see where it would have connected. and on the carbs there is the small brass return lines but my mag. carb is missing it . how bad is that?

and having it out on the weekend somehow made it 4 to 5 miles down the intercostal but come to find out the entire jet pump assy is now completely destroyed. and couldn't make it back with out a tow.

so what I'm trying to find out is what years and models will fit mine and anyone have one for sale? thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

So you found the Fuji engine maintenance info, but not the 'check over the entire machine' info

Your 1994 model has the modular 148mm jet pump, so parts from 1994-2004 will fit. You will need to use an impeller matched to the 750 engine's power, so your best bet is another jet pump from a 1994 or 1995 750.

How damaged is your jet pump? It may just need new bearings and possibly an impeller refurbish.

Click my signature links to find the Jet Pump section, with removal and rebuild info.

There is also a Parts Sources page in there.

lol . . hey it could have been alot worse, but as far as how bad. . i only found the outer seals and a good 1/4 inch removed from the fins. and still confussed after three days of testing carbs and checking everything in water . , that it made it as far as i went and as fast as i was going.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Please post a pic of the return hose fitting you speak of.... if it IS the return hos efitting, it's VERY bad!!!! You'll be pouring raw gas into your hull.

I however think you are mistaken. Most likely was the fitting used for the primer.

Are the choke plates still installed? Are there fittings installed where the choke plates should have been?

Once again, a pic will answer alot of my Q's.

What destroyed the jet pump? Rock, stick, seizure????

Many pump oparts are compatable like K447 mentioned, except the impeller as he noted already.

What parts are you in need of?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0107.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	240685Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0108.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	240686Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0109.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	240687Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0110.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	240688Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0111.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	240689Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0112.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	240690Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0114.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	240691Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0113.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	240692

and i do think its the prime lines, but should i keep the prime bulb hooked up or remove and cap lines, also there is no choke plates on my carbs.

+1
    Um, yeah, time for a new jet pump...

Since you ride in salt water, the ideal solution is to install a stainless steel stator instead of the aluminum type you have there. The SS stator has 6 blades (vanes), and is an all around better stator.

You need;
    SL 750 compatible 148mm impeller (1994-1995 version)
    Note that the impeller may be repairable. SBT and Impros have impeller refurb services.
    stator (SS 6-vane recommended, or aluminum 5-vane)
    stub shaft
    bearings and seals for the stator

What condition is the 'wear ring' bolted to the hull that the impeller spins inside?
    If it is worn or grooved you can either replace it, or upgrade your jet pump to an 'extended' configuration and keep the old wear ring as is.

What condition is the drive shaft? Pull it out of the hull and inspect the splines on both ends. Also check the area where the drive shaft passes through the through-hull assembly.

While you have it apart, now would be a good time to rebuild or replace the through-hull assembly (seals and bushings).

Ok thanks , the drive shaft is good .. and I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the wear ring or on the extended part . Dose the extend make any difference on how it operates? I only pulled my four long bolts out and left inner housing in place right now

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stillcincinnati View Post
    Does the extend make any difference on how it operates? I only pulled my four long bolts out and left inner housing in place right now
    The inner housing on your '94 model is the wear ring. It is a combination of the pump shoe (mounts to the hull) and wear ring. On later models there was an extended pump in which the shoe and wear ring were separate components and then the stator out at the very end.

Yes, the condition of the wear ring makes a huge difference on performance. The impeller inside the wear ring effectively creates a suction pulling water through the intake, past the impeller and out the nozzle to create thrust. Therefore, the closer the impeller is to the wear ring the better suction you get. If the impeller is too far from the wear ring it causes turbulence and decreases the amount of thrust you get. The factory specs for impller-to-wear ring clearance is standard 0.002" - 0.008" with a maximum service limit of 0.020".

I agree with Keith that it's best to seek out a stainless stator since you're running in salt water. But, if you're looking to get by until you find one of these you can get a complete pump rebuild kit for $50 from SBT.

KJ

thanks i found that in k447 how to's. but i dont think the rebuild kit will work bc there is so much gap from the impeller to the ring gear. so i did find this one online but it looks smaller than the one i pulled of, as far as housing wise. any thoughts
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stillcincinnati View Post
    .... I don't think the rebuild kit will work bc there is so much gap from the impeller to the ring gear.

so i did find this one online but it looks smaller than the one i pulled of, as far as housing wise. any thoughts
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    Seller says it is in 'good condition' but the impeller in the photo sure looks dinged up to me.

I can't quite tell from the photo, but that MIGHT be a non-modular pump from 1992-1993, despite the seller saying it is from 1994. In any case the photo is not showing the exit and steering nozzle portion, so the pump looks shorter than it really is.

Gap to ring gear? Impellers can be refurbished and the worn blades have new metal added to make them back to like-new size and specification. See the links in my Jet Pump section for images and other impeller refurb info.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information