2000 GTX acceleration sputter

I took my skis out for the first trip this year and noticed that my 2000 GTX DI seems to have developed a significant sputter when accelerating from a stop. It seems that if I ease into the throttle and take off very slow there are no problems. The ski runs like a top when on plane also. These are my first skis so my experience/knowledge of them is very limited. I know that a lot of people have problems with these things fouling plugs but wasn't sure if this was a symptom or not. I didn't do much as far as winterizing them since they stay in the garage and it never gets very cold in it. I had a weird problem at the end of last summer with it and checked compression, which turned out to be great, and haven't experienced that problem again. Any ideas are appreciated!

+1
    I always start with new plugs, they are cheap enough. But this sounds like a bad accelerator pump on the carbs

Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    I always start with new plugs, they are cheap enough. But this sounds like a bad accelerator pump on the carbs
    That was my first thought when I read the title, but his post says it's fuel injected.

Running on old gas?

The gas was probably a 50/50 mix of last years gas and new that I put in on the way down. I didn't change plugs like a lot of people say they do but that's where I'm gonna start. Hopefully that will be the ticket. I wasn't sure if it was a fouled plug if it would run rough even when on plane.

+1
    Any maint light?

Any maint light?
    Yes. The Maint light came on on both the skis at the same time. I assumed maint was done at the same time from the previous owner since they came on at the same time. The Maint light goes off after a few seconds

Any maint light?
    Do you think the maint light is related to my problem? Should I be overly concerned about this light being on?

Quote Originally Posted by cobrastrike View Post
    Do you think the maint light is related to my problem? Should I be overly concerned about this light being on?

No way to really know for sure but it sounds like a MAINT reminder. Check the hours and then reset. I would check/ clean the rave valves as well as change plugs and fresh fuel. These are all things that should be done periodically. You may also want to check the fuel filter for restriction.

Thread Information