2000 model Seadoo XP - massive backfires and wont start

Hi,

My friend has a 2000 XP seadoo.

It hasnt been started in a fair while, so the other day we replaced the fuel, cleaned the carbs and tryed to start it.
    We were winding it over for ages and it wouldnt start, we the found out it had no spark.

Sorted the spark issue out. But we tryed starting it again, it wound over then a MASSIVE backfire! Scared the crap out of us. And blew the rear exhaust hose to pieces.
    Thought it was a one off, so tried it again and another massive backfire went off.

So now we have stopped as i dont know what to do...

Why did it do this???

Anyone???

+1
    You pumped the whole exhaust system full of unburnt fuel/air and when you finally had spark it ignited the whole exhaust system and then BOOM !!!!

How do i get rid of the unburnt fuel in the exhaust? It has had 3 big backfires so far and dont want to keep trying. It scares the shit out of me each time!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    not to mention that you could bend a rod or blow the crank seals or blow the reeds apart. take the carbs off and get a oil pump and stick the tube in the bottom of the crank case and suck out the fuel.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JTI View Post
    How do i get rid of the unburnt fuel in the exhaust? It has had 3 big backfires so far and dont want to keep trying. It scares the shit out of me each time!
    Pull both spark plugs out and ground the leads before you do anything. Turn off the fuel turn then turn engine over so one piston is all the way down in the bore then with compressed air put it in the exhaust outlet at the rear near the pump and start blowing. Do the same for the other piston ( make sure the other piston is all the way down in the bore) This will remove all the fuel/air in the exhaust. If you have fuel sitting in the crank case turn the fuel off and run the starter with plugs out and grounded with the throttle wide open crank it for 10 seconds then wait for 1 minute and do it again until you think its all out.This should be done first because you will just move the fuel to the exhaust pipe from the cases.

Thanks for the replies. I will give it a go and see what happens. Hopefully i havent stuffed anything.

Thread Information