Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    +1

SLT 750 has turned into a project.

What I have so far.

3 Wiseco pro-light pistons
    900 jet pump
    added trim
    triple outlet fuel pump
    extended ride plate and a grate (not sure what it is but it is not stock) from Jon Wells

Problems
    Cavitation
    steering not very tight

Questions
    Would a grate with wings help with the cavitation? I'm guessing part of it I caused by not sealing the pump to the hull and the ride plate is not sealed to the hull.

Not sure what to do about the steering.

Any help is welcome.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Is the jet pump in fact properly sealed to the hull?
    Ride plate also properly sealed to the hull?

If both are not well sealed, you need to fix that.

Ventilation is when air gets sucked into the jet pump from poorly sealed areas forward of the impeller. The air bubbles reduce the impeller's thrust.

Cavitation is different. Although it can feel the same to the rider, cavitation happens when the water flow is disrupted and vacuum bubbles are formed before or against the impeller. As with ventilation, cavitation bubbles reduce thrust.

A well sealed jet pump (so no ventilation) can have cavitation, usually because the impeller blades are damaged or dinged, or there are rough/damaged/worn metal surfaces affecting the water flow.

The problem with cavitation is that it can erode and damage the impeller or stator blades, called cavitation burn.

An intake grate will not help with ventilation, and will have a minor effect on cavitation.

If the impeller is in good shape, and has proper tight clearance to the wear ring, then you are unlikely to have much if any cavitation in normal riding.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Steering loose - hold the steering nozzle still, then investigate how much slop there is in the handlebars.

Or hold the handlebars still and see how much movement the steering nozzle has.

Find the reasons for the looseness and repair.

+1
    Okay now that we are about recovered from the loss of most everything to the tornado I have had time to do a few things to the ski.

I am still having stearing problems. I keep bending my rod that goes from the hull to the nozzle. Does anyone have an idea of what I should do to make this stronger? I have put an extended jet on so I had to lengthen the original one.

Banned User
    +1
    Is it a 3/16 or 1/4 inch rod on the steering? If it is a 3/16 you will most likely have to get a cable that has the 1/4 inch end that connects to the steering nozzle.

+1
    A grate with wings on it won't help any cavatation.

You can get air in from a few places in the pump area.. such as,, the pitot tube for the speedo could be missing, loose,or broken or the plastic speedo tube that connects to it is not on... The pump shoe isn't sealed properly to the hull, or ride plate. that needs to be sealed to the hull too.

check the clearence in the wear ring and impellor clearence. the wear limit is 20 thous. it should be real close like...2-4 thousands.

also check the blades on the pump stator for chips, chunks, or blades missing or being bent. the pump stator redirects the water straight out the back. it bends the flow of water from swirling from the impellor to straight again but now its moving faster.

If the stator blades are broken or chipped, that can cause cavatation.

Have someone move the bars as you hold the steering nozzle still and see where the slop is at..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nhaase79 View Post
    Okay now that we are about recovered from the loss of most everything to the tornado I have had time to do a few things to the ski.

I am still having stearing problems. I keep bending my rod that goes from the hull to the nozzle. Does anyone have an idea of what I should do to make this stronger? I have put an extended jet on so I had to lengthen the original one.
    I'm sorry to hear about your damage from that nasty EF5. I wouldn't wish that kind of mess on anyone.

So you put an extend pump from a 900 on the ski? Without a properly sized steering rod that probably would give you a sloppy feel in the handlebars.

KJ

+1
    Which ski would have had the 1/4 inch rod on it?

I sealed the jet and ride plate but I am still having some air intake from somewhere. I am going to spend time on it this winter.

+1
    So I have been looking at the ski trying to figure out what might be letting air in. My question, could it be the bearing housing on the drive shaft? It was bad and the hose that clamps on it and on the hull was not as tight as I would think it should be. Could that have been sucking air from the hull?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Usually that would allow water in.

Why do you think you're getting air into the water intake area?

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information