Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2010 260X

2010 260X

I know everyone hates the negative stories for the brand but IJust wanted to share my experience with you all. Bought a left over, late model 2010 Ultra 260X. Ski ran great and was everything I could ask for for the first 3 hours....... Docked the ski next to the boat for lunch, went to start it up and it wouldn't fire up. Towed her back in brought her to the dealer and now it's there for a week for a leak in the exhaust. The ski was broken in according to the manual and never came close to taking on water as it was like glass. Am now really starting to regret my purchase as this is a little messed up. Drop nearly 12k on a brand new ski and it's already in the shop after 3 hours.....

Also called a dealer near where I was riding and they refused to take it. The mechanic told me "I want nothing to do with it. I hate to take back the ones that I even sell here. Let the dealer you bought it from deal with that headache and if I were you I'd trade it in on a different brand ASAP".

Granted my local dealer has been very accomidating and reassuring but come on now, 3 hours and it's dead on the water???

I understand these ski's need a little extra love and care but for some reason I think the first day out should be trouble free.

Quote Originally Posted by CJD312 View Post
    ... Docked the ski next to the boat for lunch, went to start it up and it wouldn't fire up...
    Describe exactly what happened. Starter turned but engine would not fire? That may be nothing serious, several of us experienced balky starting between 3 and 10 hrs and then it went away. Its been discussed on several other threads. You should post the name and address of the mechanic who told an anonymous stranger on phone I dont like to work on the skis my employer sells and I tell our customers to buy something else.

+1
    [QUOTE=no_more_rice;1707914]
    The 2011 260 has some of the upgrades the 300 does
    there is no 2011 260, last year of 260 is 2010

Quote Originally Posted by no_more_rice View Post
    ...my dealer told me they have had essentially no problems with the 250/260, perhaps he was blowing smoke (?)
    I would say it depends on how many units dealer sold, how skis were used and maintained after sale, and how dealer defines "problems."

I think it would be great to see objective, comparison stats for major 3 manufacturers (perhaps based on warranty claims) but there seems to be no "JD Power" et. al. consumer survey industry in PWC as in auto world.

So, you call an authorized Kawasaki dealer and are told by Kawi certified mechanic: "I want nothing to do with it. I hate to take back the ones that I even sell here. Let the dealer you bought it from deal with that headache and if I were you I'd trade it in on a different brand ASAP."

So, why not have some fun? Walk into that dealership and tell the thinnest salesman you can find I am interested in buying new 260X, I need trailer, PFDs, oars, tow ropes, etc.and will pay full price but only if you take cash and ski is reliable and comes with solid warranty that you guys back 100%.

Oh, and would you mind if I just chatted with your mechanics before we sign? I just dont want any warranty headaches...

If starter is spinning but not enagaging, make sure battery is fully charged, hook up hose, then just try 10 minutes of starts, if lucky, in minute 8.5, she will suddenly engage, fire up, tben turn on hose, bada bing bada boom, worth a try...

CJD312 might just need the water filter in the exhaust pipe that 300X has, if this is not the starter solenoid issue. And RIVA is selling an adapter plate to replace the filter saying that's for "racing only".

Quote Originally Posted by meangreenman View Post
    CJD312 might just need the water filter in the exhaust pipe that 300X has, if this is not the starter solenoid issue. And RIVA is selling an adapter plate to replace the filter saying that's for "racing only".

So I spoke with the dealer today and this is what they're going to do. They spoke with Kawi who told them they could retro fit this water filter in the the pipe and that's what's been solving the issue I have. Sounds like good logic.

Anyone in Jersey I highly reccomend Hamilton Yamaha/kawasaki. Dennis there has been great and really seems to feel bad to the trouble it's given me and is making my experience with Kawi a great one. Couldn't ask for a better dealer.

And if you're a Kawi guy, stay away from Toms River Kawasaki. That would be the shop that the mechanic told me he doesn't even want to take back the ones he sells. Amazing how a kawi certified mechanic can have such a shitty attitude towards his own brand. They also refused to take my buddy's 01 ultra 130DI saying it was too old.

Also is my ski still going to be good as new now that it's had enough steam/water in the cylinders to foul the plugs?

Quote Originally Posted by no_more_rice View Post
    The 2011 260 has some of the upgrades the 300 does, but seriously, why would anyone bother, just to save $1500? I'd be shocked if they sell 50 of them...

Interestingly, my dealer told me they have had essentially no problems with the 250/260, perhaps he was blowing smoke (?)
    Actually at my dealer at the time I bought the price difference between the 2011 300x and the 2010 260X was about 2500-3000. I was already pushing my 10K limit and didn't really have that extra cash just laying around.

+1
    Well glad you're working it out it seems and sorry to hear of your problems. Situations like that can be very frustrating. I've bought my 07' new about 2 years ago and just got 110 hours on it today. Runs like new and zero problems.

Re. Toms River Kawi: that is just pathetic. I'm glad you posted their name and people here will not patronize them. If you have the chance I'd call Kawi USA and let them know of your experience.
    We have plenty of Kawi dealers in the US and don't need crappy ones to stay around. I'm sure Kawi could work them over a bit.

Water filter in the exhaust pipe?? you sure about that? If anyone has info on this could they please post it,pics if you got them.Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information