Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

poor running Virage TXi...

I've been browsing the forum here for the last couple weeks, looking for a solution to a problem I am having with my 2002 TXi, that I have owned for a few years now.

Having just pulled it out of climate controlled storage, I can get the ski to run, but only for a few seconds. If I repeat this about 1000 times, I can get it to run for longer and longer between starts, eventually it will idle, though it still runs rough. So, it seems that the warmer it gets, the better it runs. As I recall, it did this a bit at the end of last season, but not to the extent that I considered it a problem like it is now.

So, anyone have any suggestions on what to look for? I have swapped out the sparkys, cleaned all the connections I can find, and now I am at a bit of a loss. Any suggestions will be enthusiastically attempted.

BRN2RDE
    Last edited by K447; 06-02-2011 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Corrected model year

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

My signature links contain lots of useful info, but off the top I would be suspecting the TPS sensor on the throttle body.

Unplug the 3-pin TPS connector and see if it will now start and idle.

Thanks. I tried upplugging the TPS. Did not see any change. I will do that again after work. I have read thru most of the info in your sig links. Lots of good info there, but have not found out anything the explicity applies to what is going on. I know the answer is out there.....I just have not found it yet. The whole "works better as it gets warm" is what has got me stumped.

+1
    Well, check the basics. Compression, fuel pressure, voltage on White/Red wires (with all injectors plugged in).

Note that some Ficht engines won't run properly without the TPS (don't know why, but it happens), and if the TPS is bad then it can make you run in circles. I always prefer to have a known good TPS on hand to test with, as it takes away a lot of the guessing.

this is crazy somebody should figure out a way to retrofit a common automotive tps sensors to work with the fuel injected domestics
    i imagine they are running out faster and faster

So, this evening I pulled the fuel tank to have a look at the fuel pump/filter setup. The pressure regulator was laying in the bottom of the pump assembly. Figuring this was the issue, I did a happy dance and reinstalled it with a cotter pin holding the regulator in place. Unfortunatley, this did NOT solve the problem. Still hard to keep running at first, then after numerous restarts it will idle, but poorly. And still runs rough under power. Wierd thing is, I can disconnect a spark plug cable and not notice any real difference in how it runs. Plug it back in, unplug another one, same deal.

Oh, and it is a 2002. Not a 2001 as I posted earlier.

Fuel injectors have been soaked and reinstalled(in correct locations)
    Pressure regulator reinstalled
    Fuel drained and new added
    TPS plugged and unplugged

Tommorow I will do a comp check, though I doubt that is it.
    What about a thermostat stuck open? Could that cause this condition?
    Is there anything to the throttle bodies. Becasue they only pass air, no fuel, could a dirty throttle body cause this?

Grasping at straws,

BRN2RDE

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    .. check the basics. Compression, fuel pressure, voltage on White/Red wires (with all injectors plugged in).

... if the TPS is bad then it can make you run in circles. I always prefer to have a known good TPS on hand to test with, as it takes away a lot of the guessing.
    When checking the White/Red voltage, it should be stable with the engine running at about 45 volts. If it jumps around, something is not right.

Should be stable while cranking too, a little over 20 volts is typical.

And check the actual fuel pressure.

K447,

I appreciate all the help. I know this problem will get tracked down, I have just been priortizing reparis based on what I have available. I live in a somewhat remote area, and will have to go for a drive to get certain tools to perform tests such as fuel pressure, compression etc. I have been doing the 'free' stuff first. Looks like I am out of free stuff now, and will be picking up tools today. Keep the ideas coming.....

Checked fuel pressure today. Without taking the ski to the river to run it for more than a few seconds, I see I have about 20 psi while cranking, and about 35 or so when it fires up. Seems about right?
    Checked the voltages on the red/white wire at the injectors, right at 35-45 volts or so, again did not run it for more than a couple seconds. Voltage would then drop off slowly when engine/cranking stopped.
    Have not checked compression yet, no tool for that, though based on the symptoms, that would be a shocker if it were the cause.
    And I have a new TPS on order.

What else should I check? It so very much seems like a fuel issue.

BRN2RDE

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by brn2rde View Post
    Checked fuel pressure today. Without taking the ski to the river to run it for more than a few seconds, I see I have about 20 psi while cranking, and about 35 or so when it fires up. Seems about right? ...
    Not really

Fuel pump is electric so fuel pressure should be stable, not rise when engine starts. Something seems odd with that pressure rise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information