06 RXT 8100 RPMs but only 60 km/h

I recently bought my parents sea doo. The poor thing has set since new just about. Only 53 hours on it. My parents are 70 so it wasn't run hard, i don't think . I replaced the plugs because it was running at only 60 km/h. The RPMs go to 8100 rapidly but no top end speed. It almost sounds like its at a Rev limiter (pulsating fluttering noise) or perhaps cavitating. It also does not seem to be steering very well. Feels kind of sluggish..Where do i start? Thanks in advance

Dave[email protected]

+1
    Sounds like cavitation, bad cavitation!

check the prop and wear ring, sounds like something has been sucked up (and maybe still in there, or done damage)

+1
    As stated already, the pump would be the best place to start. Wear ring more than likely. Possibly a bent impeller.

+1
    Or theres some debris in the prop such as a piece of drift wood,rope or even a rock..

+1
    Definitely check the wear ring. That's the easiest and most likely first step.

Either that or your rents were doing some major wave jumping and slapped the ski down snapping the intake grate.

inspection results

I did what i thought was a thorough visual inspection from the aft end and forward side of the prop. While there was some pitting of the blades on the leading edges, i found nothing major (i.e., no chunks missing or obstructions). I did notice wear marks on the wear ring. Is there a radial tolerance between the prop and wear ring? there is a bit of a gap where things have gone through but how much wear is acceptable? I appreciate the response i have received. I am anxious to buy whatever is needed to get back in the water. If it is the wear ring would it hurt to use it as is until I install a new one? Thanks again.

Dave

+1
    Not going to hurt your craft, just not going to get any gains out of the craft..... Just replace it and you will notice night and day difference. You should not be able to see but a tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny amount of clearance. I think it is something around 0.016 of an inch. A very minute amount.

+1
    Pull the pump and put it inthe freezer for 30ish mins. Pull the wear ring out. Flip it over. And read install..enjoy your almost new wear ring!

Thread Information