Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

B1 or C3 and boost clamp AND no FPR

With the mods I have below (I will change to probably a 13/24 prop) is it OK/Safe to run a B1/C3 and a boost clamp with no RRFPR? I intend to purchase a FPR in the future as I may go with the R1 reflash in the future. But as it stands now I can only afford a wheel and I may be able to borrow a BC (I know I can eliminate the BC after reflash).

I also have a Rive Cooling kit that will be installed

+1
    No, it is not safe. I asked the same question on the Riva forums a few months ago. Basically the boost clamp tricks the ECU into sensing less boost than is actually being produced so the ECU will continue to allow more boost. The ECU will NOT add any more fuel with the boost clamp because it doesn't see the increase in boost. You will need to run a fuel pressure regulator with the boost clamp. IMO at the cost of the FPR and boost clamp, a reprogramed ECU may be better bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    No, it is not safe. I asked the same question on the Riva forums a few months ago. Basically the boost clamp tricks the ECU into sensing less boost than is actually being produced so the ECU will continue to allow more boost. The ECU will NOT add any more fuel with the boost clamp because it doesn't see the increase in boost. You will need to run a fuel pressure regulator with the boost clamp. IMO at the cost of the FPR and boost clamp, a reprogramed ECU may be better bang for the buck.
    Good info.

I agree regarding the reprogrammed ECU.
    The only thing I would add is that if you desire to add more boost with say an E1 you need to be looking at the possability of adding a RRFPR then. Regardless, you need to know yor AFR so you can tune appropriately.

+1
    Thanks, are you saying that I will still need a boost clamp even with a Reflash from R&D?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rcapone View Post
    Thanks, are you saying that I will still need a boost clamp even with a Reflash from R&D?
    No, the reprogramed ECU will allow for more boost without needing a boost clamp.

+1
    Thanks, I actually found someone selling a C3, RRFPR and Boost Clamp so I'm waiting for him to give me a price. If it is good I will jump on it. Is it 100% necessary to have a A/F meter?

Mike is your speed in your sig with stock SC Wheel and ECU?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rcapone View Post
    Thanks, I actually found someone selling a C3, RRFPR and Boost Clamp so I'm waiting for him to give me a price. If it is good I will jump on it. Is it 100% necessary to have a A/F meter?

Mike is your speed in your sig with stock SC Wheel and ECU?
    A AFR gauge isnt 100% required but it's highly recommended. My speed in my sig is stock ecu and stock SC.

+1
    I would say it's 100% recommended to run an AFR gauge because one mistake with the RRFPR and you run the ski lean, it doesn't take long to mealt the piston. Don't ask me how I know People may say it is not 100% needed but really, $200 can save you a lot of money and get the best performance out of your setup. IMHO
    Last edited by Waterholics; 07-27-2011 at 01:40 AM.

Does anyone have AFR readings that prove that this is unsafe ? I am not saying it is safe or unsafe, Id just like to know how unsafe or safe it is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information