Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New to the boards/skis, need help on overheating

Picked up an '99 1100 STX, and have got it running. Runs fine on the trailer w/ the hose hooked up (water coming out the right front side hull pisser). When I put it in the river, It overheated and threw the buzzer/light. No water was coming out of that pisser/outlet on the right side of the hull. Should it under normal operating conditions in the water?

+1
    YES! Water should come out the peehole when running. Remove the hoses and run a piece of weedeater line through it. Be careful with compressed air as you could blow the hose up.

While your at it, check the hoses that go to the stator cover on the front of the engine. I've seen a couple of those get badly plugged, too.

Since you were on the river, did you check the water input at the pump area for weeds or someting else that is blocking the water input lines? I would disconnect the water input hose at the engine and use your garden hose and send water back through the hose to the pump input to make shure it is not cloged. It may be something that simple.

I ended up having to replace two of the lines. The two that run from the back of the hull to the stator cover (think its the stator cover). They were filled with a lot of crap/sand. Need to put it back in the water and see how it runs now.

I did take the grate off, a couple weeds in there, but nothing major. Anything else I should check? Thanks for the help!

I had and still have problems with mud daubers building nests in my hose ends. I always check them before taking the skis out

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 99STX1100 View Post
    I ended up having to replace two of the lines. The two that run from the back of the hull to the stator cover (think its the stator cover). They were filled with a lot of crap/sand. Need to put it back in the water and see how it runs now.
    The lines for the stator cover don't go to the back of the 'Ski. Those are small hoses.

Here's a pic of the stator cover:

Dirt collects under the plate where the oil pump mounts.

Right, I replaced that small line, but it connected to what felt like a "T" style fitting under a manifold. From the other side of that "T", the large line from the back of the hull connected. Thats not all for cooling?

+1
    Yes, the line shown connects to a Tee fitting on the exhaust manifold. The large hose on the Tee fitting goes to the back of the 'Ski. I thought that was the one you said you replaced.

Did you check for flow through the stator cover?

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Yes, the line shown connects to a Tee fitting on the exhaust manifold. The large hose on the Tee fitting goes to the back of the 'Ski. I thought that was the one you said you replaced.

Did you check for flow through the stator cover?
    I replace both lines.

How do I check for flow through the stator cover?

Thanks for the help Steve!

Took the ski out last night and idled it around in the creek. Too windy to get out in the river, but water was exiting out of the side pisser. At idle, there wasn't much coming out, but as I upped the throttle a little bit, the flow increased, as I would assume it would since the impeller speed is increasing. I had it out longer than before, so I think I solved the problem (no overheating warning this time). Now I just need a calm day to take her out and open her up on the river.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information