Girls just wanna have fun! awarrick's Avatar
    +1

My '05 FXHO ate my speedo sensor!

Yes, that's right...chewed that sucker up and spit it out the back (I assume). Anyhoo..have to replace it. Tired of seeing a big fat 0 on my dash while riding. Has anyone done this themselves? Is it a difficult thing? Can it be done on a trailer and do we need any special tools? thx!

depending on the trailer you have it can be done on the trailer. Its easiest to pull the ride plate and you can get to that through hull nut fairly easily, we have a tool at the shop some kind of toilet wrench socket thing that works absolutly perfectly. My main thing is how in the world did your speedo sensor get sucked in the pump. the screws must have came out or something. Those things are not exactly cheap if you get them through a dealer.

+1
    My main thing is how in the world did your speedo sensor get sucked in the pump. the screws must have came out or something. Those things are not exactly cheap if you get them through a dealer.
    Well, that's why I said, "I assume" it ate it because the speedo was working fine and I slowed down so my friend could catch up to me when the ski shimmied, made some growls and after about a few minutes (I shut down the ski thinking I sucked a rope in) I cranked it up and it ran just fine except that my speedo quit. I park it on a jet-dock so I haven't pulled it out yet. I've seen the schematics and I have a service manual for the ski. I've seen the speedo sensor for around $100 or so and know what dealers charge for labor so that's why I was asking about how difficult it was.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Wait, it's actually gone off of your ride plate? you saw that it's missing? Or your just "assuming" its gone. I'm not trying to be a smartass, I'm just going off what you wrote. If it is'nt gone, you probably just got some crap stuck in the speedo wheel.
    Last edited by XLT Chad; 06-08-2011 at 09:28 AM.

+1

Talking

LOL...yes, I did say 'I assume'. Plan on taking it out this Aug/Sept for a ride down on Jekyll so that's when I will know for certain but it's quite the co-incidence that the ski acted up for a few moments right before it quit working. I need to change the plugs and we plan to do that this w-end but until I have the time to get the trailer down there to pull it out, guess I won't know for sure. I was just asking to see if this was a job that we could do ourselves (in case the ski did eat the thing). If it's just clogged, well, that will be even better--

+1
    I tell you what happened, you must have sucked something up and at the same time got something in your Speedo. All you have to do is open 4 bolts and clean it off of kelp or whatever that may have got stuck!

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Yep, chances are you got into some weeds or junk, pulled some into your pump causing the growling and shuddering. At the same time I bet your speedo got clogged. It happens.
    The chance of your speedo wheel coming loose and going thru your pump? Very, very slim.
    Good luck

thats kinda what i was thinking, my speedo on my FX140 was reading zero one day after stopping at the islands turned out the little wheel had gotten some sand in it when i pulled the ski up on the beach after a few mins of riding it came back to working. I sucked up what appeared to be a decent sized fish one tome and it made some weird noises. IIRC it would be darn near impossible for the pump to eat the speedo wheel, I have seen stranger though. Anyhow let us knw what you find

+1

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TunedFX140 View Post
    I sucked up what appeared to be a decent sized fish one tome and it made some weird noises.
    That's too weird...I have a similar story-- I had a snake wrapped around my impeller shaft some years back. Didn't know it and all I knew was I was getting rpm but going nowhere. I was in the marina, hadn't even left yet. My pal told me, "give it some gas!" I cranked back that throttle while he was holding my ski against the dock and "wwwrrrpppp"...talk about gross...all I saw were guts, snake bits and blood..my friends now call my ski, the "snake-o-matic"...nasty!

thats awesome the thought of that sound "wwwrrrpppp" made me LMAO. Thats a similar sound as to what the fish did but i was wide open and it just bogged for a split second and kept right on going. Jumped a Alligator in the river under I-10 bridge one day, he didnt get sucked into the impeller though.

Thread Information