Good Iridium thread read..Possibilitys of additional performance gains..

found this hunting thru the net on iridium plugs...See what you make of it.. http://www.ducati.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32495

I have noticed that my 760 doesnt fire the NGK Iridiums as 'fat' as the stock units did and was looking for "Why this is so?" ..

my logic and reading of this is that they fire the gap easyer and not as high attained voltage.Because of this, the flame kernal isnt as hot or bright!!

After reading this thread on the Ducati forum , I Would like to experiment going to a larger gap even though Ngk says they are pregaped to my application at .024.
    I'm thinking of going .030 or .035...

ANYONE OVER GAPPED IRIDUIMS AS STATED IN THE THREAD ,FOR USE IN A TWO STROKE??? RESULTS????? THOUGHTS?? THANKS..

Read the Thead see what you think....

+1
    Here's another good Platinum vs. Standard plug read that I refer to once in a while. I'm sticking to standard plugs.
    http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com...ic=8034.5;wap2

And I'll throw in another interesting spark plug thread here for your reading pleasure
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...-update!!!!!!!

+1
    I run reglar plugs in all my 2 smokes.They just work better and last longer.

with the feed back here and on the 2 stroke forum your all condeming iridiums..
    Question I have now is....
    Have you read the thread....if so, Did you will see they state the benifits of running a larger gap??? (only down I see to this is more load on the electrical system, which may be detrimental in the long run...)
    Did anyone here gap larger when you tryed these plugs??
    If not... its the little things that add up to something bigger overall !!!!

+1
    Here's some more good info/quotes I've found on the spark plug topic:
    Standard Copper core plug advantage: stronger spark because it requires more voltage than platinum- or iridium-tipped plugs if all are at the same gap. This theoretically means better chances for combustion and so better power.

Standard Copper core plug disadvantage: stronger spark because it requires more voltage than platinum- or iridium-tipped plugs if all are at the same gap. This means the ignition wires, coils, and power transistor must produce more energy to fire copper core plugs at say 0.036" gap than platinum- or iridium-tipped plugs at the same gap. This can mean more misfires at higher cylinder pressures and/or higher engine rpm at larger spark gaps.

Standard Copper core plug disadvantage: electrodes will wear 2 to 6 times as fast as platinum- or iridium-tipped plugs and so must be changed more often.
    Improved Firing Performance :
    To improve firing performance, the contact area between the electrode and the flame nucleus needs to be reduced in size. This is why the iridium electrode was made as fine as possible to a diameter of 0.4mm. Compared to normal Spark Plugs, with a spark plug of 0.8mm, the ignitability limits are better by 2.5. Less metal on the tip allows the spark to expand in a greater area, maximizing firing performance and minimizing voltage requirements.The required voltage in the Iridium plugs is between 3000 volts & 5000 volts that is less than a normal plug. This is due to the ultra-fine 0.4mm diameter ground electrode. Because the required voltage is kept low, Iridium plugs can be used in high performance engines and for high response driving. Smoother Idling: When an engine is idling, firing can become particularly bad. Because Iridium Power plugs have a low required voltage and high ignitability, sparking continues to work properly during idling. Whereas normal plugs have highly variable rpm counts, Iridium Power plugs maintain very smooth idling. Also, because combustion is good, the explosive energy raises the rpm count.
    Improved Engine Performance :
    Iridium Power spark plugs enhance the performance of an engine. Acceleration is improved when compared against normal spark plugs.
    Decreased Fuel Consumption:
    When Iridium Power spark plugs are used, accidental fire and misfiring rarely occurs under various driving conditions. Therefore, combustion is extremely good. In turn, a healthy engine can be maintained and fuel consumption improved. So why not use an Iridium plug?

I've never had an issue with standard copper plugs and have never seen benefits from iridium in small engine applications. They are nice for higher service life in an auto, however. Those look like ads done by Splitfire or NGK to sell you higher priced plugs. I'd go searching for power elsewhere.

Thread Information