Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Waveraider Running Great Thanks!!!

I finally got the ski rebuilt and had it out today and thanks to many of you it is running great. I still have to learn to fine tune the carbs, anyone have any thoughts on best ways to fine tune the low speed adjuster to see if its too lean or too rich? I heard someone talking about checking the spark plug, how?

Thanks again, once this one is done then I start the other rebuild...

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    Great news!

What did you end up doing?

Here's some condensed tuning info. Look around that site. There's alot of good info. http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...+Tips.jpg.html

carb adjustment

I lowered the pop off pressure and adjusted the low mixture screws...
    Thanks to your input it was easy to adjust once I borrowed the screw caps off another ski...

It will take awhile to learn to tune well... That is why hopefully I can get further hints on fine tuning so not too rich or lean at idle...

I also see that a load on the impeller makes a big difference. On the trailer (after warmup) I had it idling at about 1500 (dash tach not a real one) and in the water it would almost stall.. After correcting it on the water back to 1500 rpm and making the fuel mix about right (via the low speed screws) it ran great.

I put it back on the trailer and with no load on the screw it was idling at about 3000rpm. IS that normal? Or is it too rich a mixture?

Once again thanks for the info.

+1
    3000 out of water is normall.

+1
    For some grat info on tuning and understanding how each part of the carb works go here and scroll down the page find the SBN manual and save it to your computer it has some great stuff in it.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9546

SBN manual

Thanks. I have already gotten it from you'll.

I took ski out again today. Ran great again. Then I let it sit for maybe 5 minutes in the water and when I went to restart it wouldn't start. I tried cranking with throttle open fully. Nothing. I even added 2 primer strokes. Nothing. Couldn't get it restarted. I ended up pulling out of the water and took home. Started right up on the trailer out of the water...

What does this mean? Too rich? It seems to have flooded, I guess, although I thought I let it sit long enough 10 minutes in the water before giving up and trailering it.

Any thoughts? Could my pop off pressure be too low now? Pop off gauge reads about 45psi.

+1
    Have you tried clipping back 1/4" off the spark plug wires?

That popoff seems OK if you are using the stock airbox.

spark plug wires

No, I haven't. I will definitely try, what is the reasoning for this?

I also have another issue. The person before me removed the oil tank and made it a premix. The problem is they left the oil gauge just hanging on the inside.

I saw where people had used zip ties to fix, I tried, but it still flashes no oil. Do I have to short the circuit, is that the best way to correct? This oil gauge is old, it has only one float, so I am not sure it even works correctly anyways.

+1
    the plug boots screw into the wire. over time, the wire corrodes, and a weak spark results. This gets worse as things heat up and the resistance goes up. Just cut the tie strap, unscrew the boots from the wires, and snip a little at a time until you see fresh wire. then screw the boots on and try it.

On the tank, I forget if you can solder those leads or if you need to wire in a resistor. Maybe ohm it out? I just tie strapped the floats in the up position and left it, but i still have the oil tank mounted.

+1
    on my GP1200 and my GPR I just shorted the wires together no issues at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information