Sunk GP1200R, lost compression

So, here's the story. Over the winter, I removed the catalytic converter in pieces, and installed a D-Plate... Went out to the lake for the first time of the summer, fired it up and rode it across the lake... it ran like a champ! Parked it for a few hours to set up camp... when I got back to it, it was cranking slow so I thought my battery was dead... went and bought a new one... when I pulled the seat off, there was water in the hull... (one of the plugs wasnt all the way tight) and it had sucked water while I was trying to start it. so I put it on the trailer, drained the water, pulled the spark plugs, and purged out the water... installed new plugs and got it started.... idled a little rough, but cleared up after a minute.... ran it across the lake and it ran great. A buddy of mine got on it, and took it for a ride and it died on him... now I have no compression on the #2 cylinder.... I'm thinking I'm going to pull the head off first, and if nothing looks damaged, look into the reeds.... anything else you guys can suggest? anything special I should know?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

If you have no compression on that cylinder.....then when you pull the head you will find damage for sure.

Thats what I'm thinking... can a broken reed cause lost compression too? looking through the spark plug hole with a flashlight, the cylinder wall looks good... worked on lots of 4 stroke stuff, but never a 2 stroke.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DCB_MINDED View Post
    Thats what I'm thinking... can a broken reed cause lost compression too? looking through the spark plug hole with a flashlight, the cylinder wall looks good... worked on lots of 4 stroke stuff, but never a 2 stroke.
    if you have no compression, there is a problem with the piston

pull the head and see

I had the same problem and it had a slight hole burnt on the side of the piston and i could actually see the rings causing no compression.
    I will also take the head off first as the problem will be there as compression from the piston top to the plug is a problem.

Plan on yanking it apart tonight... hopefully not too much damage... It sucks to spend a fortune at the first of the year to get it running again.

apparently the dreaded oil line failure strikes again... somehow 2 of the lines managed to pop off... looks like the cylinders took only minor damage and will clear if I have them bored... gotta buy new pistons though... recommendations? Anything that I should check or replace while I have it apart? Pics are on the way...
    Thanks for all the help guys!

You need to use riva yamaha oem parts they work much better.Also take the oiler off go to premix wont have this problem. Riva sells a block off plate for the oiler and is very simple to install.

Just spoke with my local Yamaha shop... They told me you cant bore the jugs on powervalve engines. Is this true? Doesn't make sense to me. If I have to buy new jugs, I'm not sure I'm willing to drop that kind of money into it.

Thread Information