Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Comin out of Winter with some mods. Need some Advice.

Well I just rode my ski for the first time this year. I know I know. Its been plenty warm enough, but I've busy. lol Anyways Im not to happy with my setup, and was wanting some advice. Was totally stock last summer. All mods are listed below. I did this over the winter, so this is the first test with all the mods at once. lol Stock Gauges Also.

First is the prop. Maybe I dont have the right pitch for what I have/want to do? I noticed it right off the bat. 20-60 mph Good hard pull, but at 60 and above is the acceleration slows down and it slowly climbs to 68-70 ish, and the rpms showing around 7200. I remember with my stock prop last year it pullin all the way, and the needle showing around 72 ish, and the rpms higher.
    And cuttin around, it seems to come unhooked easier. And when she is unhooked...she's unhooked...wam wam wam. Then when it hooks. good pull up to 20 or so, then hang on.
    But anyways i'm thinking about putting my stock prob back on. I'm also kinda wondering if the old gas had anything to do with it. The tank was topped of last fall, and stabil put in it. I think I'll try to siphon the rest of the tank out, and put new in.

Second is the exhaust. Wow. I actually don't think its that bad riding. But I let my friend ride it, and sit on the shore and wow that thing is loud. It wouldn't be bad on a big lake, but where I go is very small. I mean very. It diffently a pain the the a$$ out their going back and forth, when your on the shore. I even had a girl stop me and asked about the ski, cause it got her attention. Maybe it's a good thing. lol I hate to say it but I put my flaps back on tonight hoping that it quiets it up a bit, for this weekend. If not stock exhaust is going back on. I know I know. BUt everyone that was at our campsite on the shore said it was pretty annoying.

Anybody got any idea's?

+1
    Get an R&D intake grate before you get bucked off. Should be done for safety reasons.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Put your stock exhaust resonator back on if at all possible. Then do Tommy Jordans free-flow mod.

+1

+1
    You are only turning 7200 with the skat 13/21? I turn 7500 with my skat 13/23.

Got some more info/results this weekend.

I can't believe the difference in this thing from a full tank to half or below. I would say the gas the was old last weekend, I only burnt a half a tank of it. So this weekend I started off with the last half of the same tank. Burnt it, noticed the change in it with less weight in there. Then ran 10 more gallons of new gas though. Its acting a long snappier now. Watched the gauges a little more when I started running the new gas though. I'm getting around 7500 to 7600 rpm and stock speedo showing 70 to 72 or so. Thinking about putting Jims modded plate on now, but I dont want to lose my speedo.

I did put my flaps back on for a trial, and to my surprise it actually quieted it down just a tad. I dont mind it, except when Im pullin a ski er or tuber, then theres lots of drone from 4 to 5 k. I'm thinking about getting the exhaust gasket and putting it back like stock. I would have to get a new one, because the riva ff instructions has you cut the middle of the gasket out for even more free flow. Im just wondering if the stock gasket in there would quite it down a little more. What do ya think.

+1
    My speedo works perfectly with jims plate with no shims. I confirmed with my gps at various speeds.

Well that sounds good. I'll have to get the plate sometime. Mines got great holeshot and on up to 60 then its like it runs out of the power band. The stock speedo will gain very slowly from 65 to 70. Had it showing 71-72 with around a 1/4 tank left.

Another question for anybody?

Is amsoil hp injector ok to run in my 02 Xlt 1200? Got 4 gallons of it sitting here. Had a #3 cylinder problem last summer, and just now getting around to running it this summer.

And how my hours are you changing the oil on your FZ's? Think im using mobil 1 racing 4t 10W-40, i think lol.

But both ski's will go to Yamalube after they get the oil used up I got sitting here. I had our napa store order that mobil for me last summer, a case of it. Ya like $11 a quart. I was stuck. Never again.

+1
    Jim's modded vx plate will give you at least 3 mph. R2 reflash is your next best bang for the buck.

How will my ski respond with bolting Jims plate on? I guess I'm asking is it going to gain top speed quicker, like from 60 to 70? Or is it still going to creep up there. Like right now it kinda sits at 67.....68.....69 maybe 70 over a 20 second period. Maybe this is just normal. Is the stock plate just kinda draggin it down?

Another question for anybody?

Is amsoil hp injector ok to run in my 02 Xlt 1200? Got 4 gallons of it sitting here. Had a #3 cylinder problem last summer, and just now getting around to running it this summer.

And how my hours are you changing the oil on your FZ's? Think im using mobil 1 racing 4t 10W-40, i think lol.

But both ski's will go to Yamalube after they get the oil used up I got sitting here. I had our napa store order that mobil for me last summer, a case of it. Ya like $11 a quart. I was stuck. Never again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information