1997 GSX gettin ready for the summer. I am SEA-DOO DUMB

Hi Everyone. The dealerships have been loving my wallet for the past year. I think I'm done with them. I turn to you guys for a little help.

I want to thank this Forum for the great threads that I have already read. Lots of help here I see. I just got home from buying 25' of Gates fuel line and 25 screw clamps. You can guess how my day tomorrow will go.

My main question is that I had a dealership winterize the machine for me and they put a tag on it that states " Do Not run until dewinterized " !!!! I did not think that I would have to do anything but drop it in the water this spring. (besides tomorrows task)

Do I have to wash all of the oils off of the engine? I figure that it will just burn/evaporate off? It seems to be just Bombardier lube that they sprayed on.

If you guys have any tips on what else I should do to this doo before running I would appreciate any and all comments. The machine runs great and I just want to keep it that way!

I will post a couple pics of this machine. I bought it last spring for $1800. I thought it was a deal. Only 79 hours on the meeter and the engine was rebuilt by the dealer with $1500 in receipts at 70 hours. I believe that the fuel lines are the reason for the rebuild thanks to you guys.

Question

OK This does not look like it is going to be very fun. I have the new fuel line and clamps, but there is not a whole lot of room to work with. LOL

How am I supposed to get the fuel selector nob off? I took the small cap off and removed the screw but the nob does not want to come off. I don't want to grab onto it with anything because I don't want to mar it up.

I need help

How are you supposed to reconnect the line that runs out to the RT side of the hull? There is no way to tighten down a fastener in there. I can barely touch the end with one finger. This is after the T in the line. I can see that I can get to the one off of the T that goes into the hull under the seat (between your legs). Why change these anyhow? there should not be gas running thru them. Arn't they just breathers?

BTW I finally got the fuel selector nob off and the whole fuel selector was surprisingly clean! Maybe it is because we don't have a ton of ethinol in our fuel here in Northern Michigan? I have been working my way through and am almost halfway done changing these gray fuel lines out. The guy that says that it takes an hour to do this in the "DIY Fuel Cleaning thread" is either really good with these or he has lost his marbles.

I don't think I'll have enough time to do all of this today! Work calls, but I need this thing back up and running by Wednesday or the wife will tan my hide!

Please Help!!!!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    the easiest way to do this is to pull the carbs off and put them on a board over the engine bay opening. then open the carbs and clean the them clean the needle and seat, clean the carb screens, and reinstall.

Thank you for the reply Airbornexp! Do you know anything about the breather towards the nose that goes to the right side of the hull? I don't see how that can be reconnected. There is just no room to get a fastener in there. How about the dewinterization tag that the dealer put on it?

Cool Done for now!

The fuel line job is done for now. I don't know if I need to change the one that goes from the sending unit to the "T" in the line, then to the RT side of the hull and the Middle (between your legs) part of the hull. I don't see why there would be fuel in there anyhow?

That job was NOT fun!

Everything seemed really clean. Nothing like the pics I saw of others.

The machine is running GREAT on the trailer. Starts up NOW!!!!

Water test is this week. Going to the cottage for 5 days!

BTW I ended up using 17.5 feet of fuel line and 16 fasteners.

Any opinion's about ANY part of this thread would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Any one know if I can just buy new cords for my DESS keys and not spend the big $$$$ for new ones?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    The only thing that I can think of to check is the line that comes off the side of the cylinders that runs out the the exhaust tip. ususally they will kink the line and zip tie it and the water out line may also be zip tied closed. otherwise all a 2 stroke winterization is RV antifreeze in the cooling system and fogging the cylinders. as for the lanyard you can just use some rope. thats whats in there anyway till you can buy a new one.

Thanks again for the reply airborn! I did not notice any lines kinked off. I will double check before it goes in the water.

I guess I'm ready to ride!!!!

Thread Information