+1

FINALLY started ....using starter fluid

So my WaveVenture sat for one month, and wouldn't start. After ruling out spark and compression, I gave the carbs two squirts of starter fluid, and it started right up. So Obviously there is a fuel problem.

I already installed a new fuel filter and 2 new fuel lines. Do you think I can get away with replacing all the fuel lines, or do I need to rebuild the carbs? Do you think the carbs just needed to be primed since it sat for a month?

+1
    Never use starting fluid. That like crack cocaine for the motor. Make sure to clean your fuel on off switch. sometimes they plug up. I am not familiar with your skis carbs. They might have a filter inside them that needs to be clean too. The fuel pump that built into the carb might need to be rebuilt. Take off the return fuel line from the carbs and crank the motor to see if it getting fuel. That will be a good start.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    +1 on the NEVER using starting fluid Very bad for a 2 stroke motor. If you really need to use somthing, use a little WD40, sparingly. How old is the ski? Gaskets dry out and crack, filters clog, check valves get gummy, etc... Sounds like Its time to rebuild them. Its not hard to do, ski will run better and you could be saving the motor by doing it.

+1
    ya I just read about the starter fluid, I only did it once with two quick sprays, but I won't be doint it again

As for the carbs, they just look old as hell lol. It's a 96 WaveVenture 700, and all the fuel lines are original. There is gunk on the outside of the carbs, I doubt they have ever been rebuilt. I replaced the original fuel filter, which had green gunk on the bottom of it.

I think I will replace all the fuel lines and rebuild the carbs...

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by slothman View Post
    ya I just read about the starter fluid, I only did it once with two quick sprays, but I won't be doint it again

As for the carbs, they just look old as hell lol. It's a 96 WaveVenture 700, and all the fuel lines are original. There is gunk on the outside of the carbs, I doubt they have ever been rebuilt. I replaced the original fuel filter, which had green gunk on the bottom of it.

I think I will replace all the fuel lines and rebuild the carbs...
    It'll probably run like a new ski for ya again.

Thread Information