02 Genesis Howling

Longtime listener, first time caller here. Have spent many an hour researching here and nothing but fabulous info however, I can not find any info on my problem at hand.

Background.....have two 2002 Genesis carb units with approx. 100 hours. Put in the water last weekend for the season at our lake house. The second day of riding, noticed a "howling" noise when out on the lake. Most noticeable when decelerating and holding around 2000-2500 rpms. Howling may not be the right word choice as it was more of a "wheezing" or "whistling" sound. It did not make a howling sound like when a bearing is going out. After my daughter rode it she asked if there were tornado sirens going off in the distance as that is what it sounded like.
    Dunked the unit in the water the next morning (still resting on the lift) and fired it up and no abnormal noise. Did not have time to take it out on the water for another spin.

Any ideas or suggestions on the source or cause would be appreciated. Could this have something to do with an air cleaner, breather box, air intake, etc.? Thanks for the help.

Banned User
    +1
    I would check the bearings in the pump stator, the through hull seal , and make sure the rubber bonded coupler in the enging isn't failing. My friend's slt 780 was making a whirring noise and to seemed something was slipping. Rebuilt the jet pump and through hull seals and it went away

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Is the problem happening with both Genesis or just one?

+1 on pulling the jet pump and checking the bearings and drive line.

Doing it on just one unit. If it is the jet pump, is that a major $$$ item as I would have to take it to the dealer for them to repair. The dealer's shop rate is highway robbery IMO. Thanks for the input and is much appreciated.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Jet pump is not difficult to remove, although they can be 'stuck' in place and take some effort to work loose.

My signature links have a jet pump section, with links to how-to videos and instructions for pump removal.

Just go about it step by step, and make notes and photos as you go. If it is the jet pump, you can get it repaired by a local machine shop or even do it yourself. The only special tool needed costs about $20

Thread Information