Gauge cluster on '07 freaking out

At first it went blank for a while, then it stopped showing speed, then blank, and finally started freaking out by showing random parts of the display beeping constantly. Ski has 81 hrs. I get water in the front bucket, so I am assuming that it's also getting under it. Should I be looking for a new gauge cluster or looking for bare/corroded wire?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by PuprleNuprleGPR View Post
    At first it went blank for a while, then it stopped showing speed, then blank, and finally started freaking out by showing random parts of the display beeping constantly. Ski has 81 hrs. I get water in the front bucket, so I am assuming that it's also getting under it. Should I be looking for a new gauge cluster or looking for bare/corroded wire?

Thanks.
    anything is possible, but before you look for another gauge try:
    Purp, look under the latch area and you`ll see a cluster of wires/connectors coming thru a rubber seal from the top console.
    Disconnect the negative battery cable, and undo those wire connections and check them out, when reconnecting apply some dielectric grease before snapping them back together... then see what happens next...

Good call, PR, I was thinking the same thing when looking around under there. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

If the cluster is toast (I saw some condensation in there when starting the ride), any chance that I use the one off of my '04?

Thanks

+1
    try to disconnect the speedo sensor wire and see if that helps

I have a black cluster if ya need

Is the speedo disconnect out back by the ride plate or up front somewhere?

WFO, please PM me price on the cluster. It was going pretty nuts (showing partial numbers, random warning pictures, loud annoying beeping, etc) so I'm thinking water got in the actual unit.

BTW - I just ground the pump for my pre-FF plate and I'm not getting a step to the pump shoe. It is even at best, maybe even hanging below a bit. (passed the paper test)

WFO, I'll let you know if I need it.(Your PM box is full)

How involved is it to remove the cluster? Would I need to remove the steering wheel, or will just dismantling most of the plastics be enough?
    I am getting condensation on the inside of the screen, so I might try to dry it out and apply silicone along all seams.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PuprleNuprleGPR View Post
    WFO, I'll let you know if I need it.(Your PM box is full)

How involved is it to remove the cluster? Would I need to remove the steering wheel, or will just dismantling most of the plastics be enough?
    I am getting condensation on the inside of the screen, so I might try to dry it out and apply silicone along all seams.
    I remove both side cowlings, and loosen the front bolts of the whole center bezel so you can lift it up a few inches

OK, so after starting this thread, I cleaned all of the plugs and sprayed contact spray. The first time out, it was acting weird but cleared up in 5 minutes and was 100% normal until the fuel ran to 2 bars. Then the cluster would reset itself every so often and beep the fuel warning.

Yesterday my day was cut short by the fuel beeper going off even though we found out that it still had 1/2 a tank. It was, again, resetting itself and thus forcing me to mute the buzzer every few minutes.

Any ideas? Would I have to remove the gas tank to get to the fuel level sensor?

Thanks.

Thread Information