Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Intake Grate Question??

I recently bought a 2005 Honda F12x and I did the intake grate mod to see if I could get better hookup especially while pulling a skier. I cut the 2nd and 4th bar out and filed some but didn't get it completely smooth. Took it out for a test ride yesterday but didn't really notice a difference besides my speedometer(dreamator) normally will read 64 or so and I could barely get 60 out of it. The water was a little choppy but not too bad. Would I have to file it completely smooth or is that what it's supposed to do? Hopefully I can afford the macsboost module soon but as of now cash is kinda tight.

+1
    If you are not cavitating then it should not have dropped your top speed. The top speed on a F12X is 59-60 [stock].

I dont really feel like it's cavitating but the speedo doesn't get up to what it used to. Could that be cause by not smoothing the old bars out completely? Oh and yesterday the silicone was coming off in between the ride plate and the grate so I pulled it off again and siliconed it again. I used the permatex silicone/adhesive... Is that okay to use?

+1
    You really need to use a marine grade silicone adhesive instead of a silicone caulk [like GE from Home Depot]. The Permatex might be OK but the West Marine marine-grade silicone adhesive is the best.

Okay I'll do that. And I think I'm gonna go ahead and file it completely smooth too because my buddy on his 06 stock f12x is out running me top end now and I can't have that.

+1
    You might need to mod your ride plate for more top end.

Mod it as in just filling in the holes or actually pay to get it milled?

+1
    Yes, mill off about .060 off the two rear feet and reshape [sharpen the chines on it]. Do not get them thinner than a quarter or it might pull the bolt head through. I milled mine with a belt sander.

Really?! Dang. After you said that I sent a guy on here a pm that was doing it back in like 09 to see if he was still doing it and he hasn't gotten back with me yet. I could probably do it myself. I didn't think about that. Preciate it jr.

+1
    Be sure and use a fender washer under the two rear bolt heads that are the same size as the wells so they don't pull through. I have modded three of mine and someitmes you get some porposing which is solved by a shim washer above the rear feet to restore some of the removed material. Some of the stock ride plates even porpose so it is determined by "chance". I have all of mine set up so that it does not porpose with a soft cooler and 10 bottles of water in the front storage. The ride plate mod makes it ride much better in the rough.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information