10 hour service questions?

I have several questions about the 10 hr service. I will be doing this myself, I did the maintenence on my FXHO myself, so I have some experience. I also apolgize if this has been brought up before,but I'm looking for specific answers.

1) What is invoved?

2) I have a Moeller oil extractor. Will the hoses that came with that be enough to reach down far enough to get enough oil out or do I have to rig some thin hose on the end to get down further? ( I've heard stories of the tube scraping on the metal plate and getting stuck)

3) Is the original oil filter hard to get off?

4) I hear it is mandatory to pull a bolt out to add oil to the supercharger at the 10 hr service?

I did some pre prep before I even rode the ski I might be able to skip the plug check and lubing the cables because I did that in the begining,plus I antiseized the plugs and checked the exhaust clamps.Again sorry if this is repetitve and for the long rant, I just don't want to screw up a new expensive ski! Thank you in advance.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dso8950 View Post
    I have several questions about the 10 hr service. I will be doing this myself, I did the maintenence on my FXHO myself, so I have some experience. I also apolgize if this has been brought up before,but I'm looking for specific answers.

1) What is invoved?Change the oil,filter and lube the intermediate shaft

2) I have a Moeller oil extractor. Will the hoses that came with that be enough to reach down far enough to get enough oil out or do I have to rig some thin hose on the end to get down further? ( I've heard stories of the tube scraping on the metal plate and getting stuck)Get it just past where the dipstick tube enters the oil pan and you'll be fine.

3) Is the original oil filter hard to get off? not too bad, just use a good filter wrench.

4) I hear it is mandatory to pull a bolt out to add oil to the supercharger at the 10 hr service?I've never hear this. Ive only heard of doing that when changing the shaft of impellor wheel

I did some pre prep before I even rode the ski I might be able to skip the plug check and lubing the cables because I did that in the begining,plus I antiseized the plugs and checked the exhaust clamps.Again sorry if this is repetitve and for the long rant, I just don't want to screw up a new expensive ski! Thank you in advance.It never hurts to check those things periodicly IMHO.
    answered in red

Quote Originally Posted by XLT Chad View Post
    answered in red
    Thank you Sir! Great info, you have helped put me at ease, Others have made it sound worse than what it is. I forgot to mention that the ski is a 2010 FXSHO.

+1
    Great ski

Quote Originally Posted by XLT Chad View Post
    Great ski
    Thanks! It is in red like yours. I almost bought an 09 FZS over the winter w/50 hrs. in red.

Well, I got it all done except for adding oil to the supercharger bolt. I found that by adding a small diameter tube to my oil extractor I could get in deeper than I could with the stiff tubes that come with the extractor. I got almost Thanks again XLT Chad!

Messed up! Men to say, Got almost 3-1/2 quarts out with filter.Saved $200 plus tax and did a much better job than the dealer would do!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dso8950 View Post
    Messed up! Men to say, Got almost 3-1/2 quarts out with filter.Saved $200 plus tax and did a much better job than the dealer would do!
    Theres also some satisfation from doing it yourself. Good job!

+1
    Don't forget to grease the intermediate housing.

Thread Information