+1

mfd troubleshooting

okay, so i've been lookin around for a mfd because mine is dead...when I first bought my ski (95 sl750) the mfd was not in working condition. So I was told to check the fuse replaced it with the correct size and everything....so i taker out to the lake earlier this spring it will work when it is idling in the water, but as soon as i give it gas the mfd goes blank...so i open the electrical box and the fuse has blown...it will then do the same thing work while idlling but will go blank after giving it gas...it was doing this up until labor day weekend when replacing the fuse wouldn't do anything...I noticed though while riding that weekend that there was a dim letter "E" on the left side of the screen......the last known voltage while running was 14.1v...would could it be?

14 something is what I got.. make sure you go to radio shack and match up the fuse with the stocker.. perhaps the last owner put the wrong one in.. The correct fuse is a 250v 1/4 watt I believe (someone verify that). I think it is normal believe it or not what you are experincing... if you in fact are using the wrong fuse. now the MFD won't show anything because it has froze up after prematurely shuttting down so many times... make sure the fuse matches the description I stated above (once verified)... and get the correct on... then put take the MFD out of stand by mode by pressing the mode button. Then perform the reset procedure by pressing EITHER mode for 10 seconds followed by set for 10 seconds WHILE STILL PRESSING MODE.. this process may be in reverse order.. it's been so long (set then mode).... your MFD should now reset and show you what you would expect! I don't think there is anything wrong with your MFD personally.. it's worth a try. I can tell you radio shack did carry the proper fuse.. let me see if I can find my package and I can give you the item number maybe.

Oh, the shorter fuse in there is the bilge pump fuse.. it's harder to find.. and it's 12v instead of 250v... my bildge pump fuse was blown as well.. I ended up finding a close enough replacement (5 watt I believe) at autozone.

Good luck!

Jared

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc011185 View Post
    14 something is what I got.. make sure you go to radio shack and match up the fuse with the stocker.. perhaps the last owner put the wrong one in.. The correct fuse is a 250v 1/4 watt I believe (someone verify that). I think it is normal believe it or not what you are experincing... if you in fact are using the wrong fuse. now the MFD won't show anything because it has froze up after prematurely shuttting down so many times... make sure the fuse matches the description I stated above (once verified)... and get the correct on... then put take the MFD out of stand by mode by pressing the mode button. Then perform the reset procedure by pressing EITHER mode for 10 seconds followed by set for 10 seconds WHILE STILL PRESSING MODE.. this process may be in reverse order.. it's been so long (set then mode).... your MFD should now reset and show you what you would expect! I don't think there is anything wrong with your MFD personally.. it's worth a try. I can tell you radio shack did carry the proper fuse.. let me see if I can find my package and I can give you the item number maybe.

Oh, the shorter fuse in there is the bilge pump fuse.. it's harder to find.. and it's 12v instead of 250v... my bildge pump fuse was blown as well.. I ended up finding a close enough replacement (5 watt I believe) at autozone.

Good luck!

Jared

yeah that's what i was questioning, i was going off the fuse that the guy who i bought the ski from...i originally went to radio shack for the 1/4w fuse, the guy asked why i was lookin for a such a low wattage fuse, i said it was for a digital display and he was like that sounds right...i didn't know there was a difference...maybe if the temp would get above 10* here i would make it out and work on the ski lol...

+1
    Power surges or spikes are the most common cause for a blown fuse.
    The power surges can be caused by loose connections in the electrical box (remove and re-crimp all connectors, I'd also replace the board as it's so inexpensive). Poor ground at the engine plate (scrape off the paint and clean the connector), even corroded or loose battery connections will cause this issue (remove and clean the connections).
    Anytime the charging path is interupted there's a potential for a voltage spike.
    I think 14.1 is to much charging output, check the actual value with a "GOOD" meter (Fluke comes to mind) and make sure of the voltage being charged to the battery.
    When you split the box, it's also not a bad idea to replace the voltage regulator.

+1
    While on the subject of MFD's and LOPr.

The LOPr will only come on when the battery voltage is under 10.9
    Remember power fluctuations (usually caused by loose connections) or electrical noise caused by the ignition system may cause the MFD to lose voltage calibration data. These "events" will also show LOPr.

Check and correct the charging system, battery, battery connections, fuse connections, MFD pin connectors, (pay peticular attention to power and ground connections at the MFD).

To re-set the MFD
    Press and hold the MODE and SET keys until the CAL displays. The CAL display will usually show after 4 seconds
    Press and hold the SET key
    While continuing to hold the SET key ans within 2 seconds of pressing the SET key, press and hold the MODE key
    Don't release either key until the MFD shuts down
    After the MFD has shut itself down, press the mode key to turn the MFD on
    Depress the MODE key repeatedly until voltage is displayed and verify that the voltage reading has been restored.
    Last edited by ph2ocraft; 12-03-2006 at 01:47 AM.

+1
    Display is stuck one one function/display shows all 8's/buttons don't work

This malfuntion can occur when the battery has been disconnected or removed.
    It may freeze on any funtion, or with all 8's the MFD is running its self check during power up.
    This will usually happen when there is a power glitch and the micro-processor temorarily malfunctions.
    It will usually correct itself when you disconnect the battery for a few minutes, it usually takes 2-3 minutes to re-set the micro-processor.

When connecting the battery negative cable, make sure it is a "clean connection. Meaning only let the terminal contact the battery once. DON'T repeatedly contact the battery!! Hold pressure on the cable until the bolt is tight.

If you have problems connecting the battery terminals you can disconnect the MFD, install the cables and then plug the MFD back in (my recomendation).

+1
    OH and never replace the 1/4 amp fuse with one of a higher rating. You will cause irreparable damage to the MFD if something goes wrong.

Thread Information