Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

No start - 1999 Polaris Genesis Ficht

1999 Polaris Please Help

Will only start and run if i prime cylinders. I was getting low voltage at fuel injectors so i sent EMM to DFI. They tested unit and all is good.

I am now getting over 20 volts at injectors but no fuel getting to cylinders. I am getting fuel to the injectors. Not sure what to do next?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Do you have spark?

Compression numbers?

When you measure injector voltage are all three injectors still plugged in?

What is the fuel pressure at the schrader valve tee?

Is it possible the injector plugs, ignition coil primary wires or spark plug wires have been mixed up?

If you prime the engine with a dribble of fuel down each air intake, will it start?

Quote Originally Posted by Taz man View Post
    1999 Polaris Please Help

Will only start and run if i prime cylinders. I was getting low voltage at fuel injectors so i sent EMM to DFI. They tested unit and all is good.

I am now getting over 20 volts at injectors but no fuel getting to cylinders. I am getting fuel to the injectors. Not sure what to do next?

What did you change to start getting full 20v on the injectors at cranking?

1. I do have spark
    2. Compression readings are 1, 140 2, 145 3, 130+
    3. i checked injector voltage by unplugging each one and leaving the other two plugged in. I would crank engine and would get readings in high 20 volts. Not sure if this is proper way to check?
    4. Fuel pressure over 20lbs. could not get accurate reading with my gauge. pressure checked at schrander valve on return line.
    5. Checked wires to fuel inj. and coils. All correct.

The only thing i changed after i recieved emm back from DFI was the capacitator. I had an extra one so i tried it. A bit of history on the machine. It was given to me not working. The dealer who checked unit out said to the original owner emm was bad. The machine sat for a least 2 maybe more years. I had to drain all the fuel out and clean all the fuel lines,the fuel was really bad. I also took injectors and cleaned the best i could. I suspect may be injectors are bad. Is there anyway to check or clean.
    Also i put the machine in the water yesterday in hope that if i ran it for a bit it might clear things up. Still no luck. When in the water it ran rough at idle and would run better at higher rpms. I still had to prime to start. I did check one thing that made me think. It has champion plugs in it.( champion 7712) could this be problem or just one of the problems.
    Thanks for the help.

Forgot to add if i put fuel in air intake it does start and run . Tried this in each intake port. Result was rough idle

If you are unplugging and injector the voltage to the other two will go up when cranking. One of the tests in the service manual is to unplug one and see if it starts or the voltage rises with it unplugged.

I found a harness under the EMM where all the red/white wires come together. I pulled the cap on that and use that to monitor injector voltage while cranking.

I'm having a very similar problem with my TXI and haven't been able to diagnose it yet....but everything is pointing toward a bad stator. Right now I'm only getting about 15 volts while cranking....but if I dump a little gas in the TB it will crank up and jump to 40v.

Tried the white/red wire under emm and while cranking got 47 volts. Alson unplugged Fi and tried each one on its own

40+ at cranking is too high. You should see ~20v at cranking and then it should jump over 40 once it starts. The starter can't turn it over fast enough to get 40v.

Checked the voltage again, Positive on red/white wire and negative grounded, while cranking went up to 47 volts. Not sure if that a bad sign or a good one.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz man View Post
    1. I do have spark
    2. Compression readings are 1, 140 2, 145 3, 130+
    3. i checked injector voltage by unplugging each one and leaving the other two plugged in. I would crank engine and would get readings in high 20 volts. Not sure if this is proper way to check?
    4. Fuel pressure over 20lbs. could not get accurate reading with my gauge. pressure checked at schrander valve on return line.
    5. Checked wires to fuel inj. and coils. All correct.

The only thing i changed after i received emm back from DFI was the capacitator. I had an extra one so i tried it. A bit of history on the machine. It was given to me not working. The dealer who checked unit out said to the original owner emm was bad. The machine sat for a least 2 maybe more years. I had to drain all the fuel out and clean all the fuel lines,the fuel was really bad. I also took injectors and cleaned the best i could. I suspect may be injectors are bad. Is there anyway to check or clean.
    Also i put the machine in the water yesterday in hope that if i ran it for a bit it might clear things up. Still no luck. When in the water it ran rough at idle and would run better at higher rpms. I still had to prime to start. I did check one thing that made me think. It has champion plugs in it.( champion 7712) could this be problem or just one of the problems...
    Have you looked at the Ficht engine info from my signature links?

You must use NGK PZFR6H spark plugs, no substitutes.

Injector voltage is always measured between white/red wire and engine ground. All White/Red Wires are connected together, so the voltage should be the same on all of them. Normally measured with all injectors plugged in.

47 volts DC while cranking sounds way too high. You can verify capacitor is working by monitoring white/red voltage after engine shuts down. Voltage should gradually decay, not suddenly drop off.

When you cleaned the injectors did you make sure to put them back on the exact same cylinders they were removed from? Ficht injectors are matched to the individual cylinders via the EMM mapping, and should not be swapped around.

There is a fine mesh screen behind the injector tip. If you are careful pulling the tip out from the injector you can clean the screen with solvent. It is rare to have the injector actually get clogged or go bad.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information