Ski taking in water

Hello,

I have a 94 Waveraider that we put in the water for the first time this season and within 10 minutes half of the hull was full of water. I drained it and inspected the exhaust but found no leaks, nor does it fill up with exhaust. I don't know a ton other than normal maintenance so any help is much appreciated!

I had a bad leak in my genesis one time. I just dried it out really good and got a bright flashlight. I floated it in the water and started watching for leaks I found it pretty fast. I also have read that some people put the blue shop type paper towels all around in the hull. They float the ski and look for spots where the towels are getting wet. If it doesn't leak while floating start it up and let it idle. My leak was the drive shaft seal where it exits the hull. Also you could have a cracked water hose.

Ok so I figured out what the issue was after filling the bottom of the hull with water. The water return hose had come off of the engine so all of the water was pouring into the hull. Now, where does it connect to the engine at? It is a 700 NOT an 1100.

I think I am wrong and have it backwards. Can someone give me the basics of how the cooling system works. The line that is disconnected is attached to the jet drive. The one that is at the end of the exhaust is fine and attached properly.

might be something here that will help: http://webpages.charter.net/gabrield...DER_MANUAL.pdf

Thanks for your help Budman. We will see how it does in the water!

the line from the pump to the motor supplys water to cool the engine... the water that goes thru the motor to cool it,then goes out the exhaust system and extra out the pisser to tell you its getting cooling water.. hope fully you didnt run this dry long to do damage !!

I think the ski is fine. It only idled for about 10 minutes in the canal. I fired it up last night and it started without issue. My last concern after inspecting this further is that the water lines were modified in a way that doesn't make sense. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the intake line feeds the top of the engine and then out to the exhaust. This configuration has the intake in the side of the engine, out the top, T off to the side pisser and into the exhaust. The discharge line is capped off and it appears the water exist through a line a bit further up on the exhaust. It is a Coffmans exhaust pipe which I have had in a ski before but I still don't know that the config is right.

Ideally, I think the intake should come in at the top, out the side, back up into the top of the exhaust and T to the pisser then out the lower line in the exhaust. I don't know that I am concerned with the factory discharge being capped off as long as the water exits properly.

Any config ideas?

usually the intake line comes in low then fills the engine block..once it s filled it then come out of the head to a low side on the waterjacket pipe.. once that fills it then goes to another hose connection on the stinger chamber which then fans it into the exhaust itself... you may want to see if you can find actual routings if coffmans still makes pipes(??).
    you can also look at r&d's and also protecs sites as they have instalation instructions available for down load on theirs..

Thread Information