Thread: Parts help

Parts help

I have a 02 RX that the engine is in a box. I am going to put it back together. My question is about the needlebearings. I have heard that the stock bearings aren't in a cage and I know this is a pain cause you usually have one or 2 fall out as you are trying to put things together. I had heard that someone sells the bearings for this engine in a plastic cage that eliminates the problem of falling needles. Has anyone else heard of these and where I might get them? Also, is the cage any help or am I in for a possible tough time with this? Thanks, Karl

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    If you use White Lube lithium grease and a 14mm short 3/8" drive socket they will stay in place. The socket takes the place of the pin holding the needle bearings in place. Then when you push the pin through, the socket pops out on the other side. Stock needles last longer as there are more of them to take the abuse. SBT sells caged bearings if you want them.

Banned User
    I sell the caged bearing and they are 11.95 each and make your life alot eaiser PM if interested. JOJO

Thanks for the help guys. I'm undecided on whether or not I am going to continue with this project or just get a rebuilt engine to drop in it. I was in the shop last night cleaning parts and I realized that I should have the cylinders checked and probably surface honed. I didn't see any scouring in the cylinders and no kind of carbon ring at the top. Since the only other engines I have messed with rebuilding are car engines I'm not even sure I would find a carbon ring in these engines. Also since the engine was a basket case when I got it I have no idea which bolts go where.
    Any suggestions on what else I should look for or do before I get to deep into this project would be greatly appreciated. Karl

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Karl, how far is the engine broken down? Is it just the cylinder removed or are the cases split too?

If the rings aren't damaged, and it doesn't have any cylinder wear, there is no need for a hone. You might want to get the cylinders miced for out-of-roundness and excessive clearance with the pistons. This will dictate if you need to re-ring it.

The case is split. One piston is off the rod the other is still on. so it looks like I have to get the other piston off the rod to get the case completely apart. Since it's split I might as well take it the rest of the way down to do a good inspection and cleaning.
    Thanks for the advice on the cylinders I'll see if I can't find a machine shop around here that can do what I need.

Thread Information