Thread: Blown up RXP

Blown up RXP

I have a 2006 RXP 120 hrs completely stock. Purchased the ski used... I removed the charger and took to a local dealer to make sure it had the upgraded washers which it did reinstalled ran great for about ten hours... then wouldnt go over 50mph or rev out. Pulled intake hose charger spun free..... bad charger. Did a full rebuild on charger; washers, shaft, bearings etc.. Here comes the stupid part let girlfriend take it out first brought it back charge pipe came off.. Went out again oil light came on stopped immediately towed back in. Too late motor was knocking. Tore it down number two rod bearing was spun.

My questions are these
    should i replace the crank with a new 1200.00 crank or have the old one welded and trued
    My motor was produced 02\06 should i do valves too while its apart. also are there any other parts that are known to go bad that i can replace while its apart.
    finally the best place to get such parts
    I posted this in general discussion earlier this week on accident newb

sorry for the leghty post i hope this is enough info lol

thanks for the help

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    I'm guessing the engine wasn't cleaned out properly when you lost the charger washers

Sounds like you lost your oil pump (pumps) - pressure due to that. You'll probably find a lot more damage if you keep looking.... cam - head, rockers - shaft, timing chain - guides, magneto - cup, oil pumps - housings, PTO cover... etc.

You may not have much left there to work with.

You also more than likely have the older exhaust valves. You can check the part number that's stamped on the top of the stem.

+1
    When you say spun a rod bearing did it damage the block.. IMO bring it to a machine shop for a complete dimensional inspection and take it from there.

Thanks for the info i appreciate it... Also yea i did inspect the block thank goodness it didnt wipe out a main too.... Just so im clear even tho the supercharger had the metal washers when they fail they still do catastrophic damage like this. If so these machines will be sold as soon as its put back together!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by workman31 View Post
    Just so im clear even tho the supercharger had the metal washers when they fail they still do catastrophic damage like this. If so these machines will be sold as soon as its put back together!!!
    Get one of these kits for your supercharger, >>> CLICK <<< have somebody who knows how to set the slip work on it - and you will not have any failures.

Bigdaddyrxp thanks for the input after further inspection both pumps are toast however cam, valves, magneto, pto cover are all in good shape. bought a crank off ebay stock crank and secondary pump 675.00 just need primary pump and the exhaust valves to get it back together

You are not planning to re-use the #2 rod, are you?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRXP View Post
    I'm guessing the engine wasn't cleaned out properly when you lost the charger washers

Sounds like you lost your oil pump (pumps) - pressure due to that. You'll probably find a lot more damage if you keep looking.... cam - head, rockers - shaft, timing chain - guides, magneto - cup, oil pumps - housings, PTO cover... etc.

You may not have much left there to work with.

+1 sc bearing material got circulated through the oil system striaght to the bearings therefore a spun bearing

You also more than likely have the older exhaust valves. You can check the part number that's stamped on the top of the stem.
    +1 sc bearing material got circulated through the oil system striaght to the bearings therefore a spun bearing

Thread Information