My 2001 Polaris Virage TXI low oil light flashes....

Looking how to check for cause of "low oil light" flashing...oil tank is full.

Check the plug for the oil level sensor? You can put a multimeter across the two wires on the sensor....should be ~30 ohms when full. You can also remove the sensor and move the float by hand and see if it has and affect on the displayed level. These don't go bad very often so but it is possible that the sensor has just failed.

Banned User
    +1
    Or the float could be stuck

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeMac View Post
    Looking how to check for cause of "low oil light" flashing...oil tank is full.
    Welcome

Check the oil level sender as described.

Sometimes the oil sender works loose from the top of the tank, or leaks. If so, it can be held in place with a large gear clamp around the plastic tank rim. Just don't over tighten it

+1
    I'm going to find a O-ring and put on the sending unit plug then use a gear clamp. Will post when it is done.

I have a 2001 Polaris Virage tx with the same problem as above -- oil tank is full, but "low oil light" is flashing. If I try to remove the sensor, it hits on the underside of the cowl, and the foot of the sensor will not clear the top opening of the oil tank. Is there a trick to removing the oil level sensor?

I might be able to get it out if I could move the oil tank to the rear, but I did not see how to do that.

-- Dick James

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I have a 2001 Polaris Virage tx with the same problem as above -- oil tank is full, but "low oil light" is flashing. If I try to remove the sensor, it hits on the underside of the cowl, and the foot of the sensor will not clear the top opening of the oil tank. Is there a trick to removing the oil level sensor?

I might be able to get it out if I could move the oil tank to the rear, but I did not see how to do that.

-- Dick James
    Welcome

Before you remove the oil level sender, use a multi-meter to measure the ohms between the two pins on the sender connector. Unplug the sender from the wire harness, then measure.

A full oil level would measure 33 ohms, an empty oil level would measure 240 ohms. If your ohm meter measures a number much higher than 240 ohms or an open circuit (infinite ohms) then the sender has gone bad.

On way to gain clearance may be to rotate/tilt the oil tank so the sender can be extracted at an angle. Try not to make huge oil mess and do not over rotate the oil tank. You will need to disconnect the front oil filler hose. Be careful not to damage the little oil vent elbow and check valve in the middle of the long oil tank.

If you unclip the three fuel tank hold down rubber straps then it is easier to lift and move the oil tank, but those fuel tank straps can be difficult to reconnect afterwards.

Thread Information