95 slt 750 poor power

I have been reading the forums for three days and have still need help. My ski has ran great our years but now it has low power. I thought it was overheating too. Not the case. I just found the rubber exhaust hose split on the bottom. Need to find one. Can this cause low power? Carbs were rebuilt 5 years ago. checked cylinder pressures and all within 3 pSI at 120. Should I be looking at rebuilding the carbs again?

Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks,

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by AzTim View Post
    1) My ski has ran great our years but now it has low power.

2) I thought it was overheating too. Not the case.

3) I just found the rubber exhaust hose split on the bottom. Need to find one. Can this cause low power?

4) Carbs were rebuilt 5 years ago. Should I be looking at rebuilding the carbs again?

5) checked cylinder pressures and all within 3 pSI at 120.
    1) What do you mean by 'low power'? Does the ski stumble out of the hole? Are you not reaching max RPM? Is the top speed down?

2) Why did you think it was overheating? Did the MFD flash HOT? You can test MFD overheat warning function by grounding one of the tan wires.

3) Hmmm, the exhaust hose split? It's possible the orifice in the water injection fitting is clogged. This would cause the exhaust to be too hot.

4) 5 years since a carb rebuild? It's possible they could be the problem. Have you upgraded the fuel system to a 3-outlet fuel pump? That is upgrade #1 on these skis. Also, be sure the fuel lines in the tank and those leading to and from the fuel selector are all in good condition.

5) Compression looks fine.

KJ

Yes it stumbles out of the hole. It also is only hitting about 4600 RPM which is about 1500 lowerthan normal.

I thought it was overheating from the amount of steam when removing the set. The MFD didn't warn me. I will test it tonight.

I think the hose just gave out from time. It is the original. Have to buy one today.

The fuel lines (including the tank ones) look good and were replaced with the last carb rebuild.

I need to upgrade the fuel pump to the triple outlet. Any ideal where to get one? Do they come as a kit?

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by AzTim View Post
    I have been reading the forums for three days and have still need help. My ski has ran great our years but now it has low power.

I thought it was overheating too. Not the case. I just found the rubber exhaust hose split on the bottom. Need to find one. Can this cause low power?

Carbs were rebuilt 5 years ago. checked cylinder pressures and all within 3 pSI at 120. Should I be looking at rebuilding the carbs again?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Welcome

Exhaust leaking into the hull will cause the engine to run poorly.

Replace the exhaust hose, and check the water injection orifice in the exhaust pipe.

Parts Sources are listed from my signature links.

I will check the Water Injection Orifice tonight.

Can you use a regular Radiator hose on the exhaust?

im having a similar issue with my 97 polaris sl900. ran fine today all day and then right as in about to dock it, power was cut in half while i was cruising at 45 mph. dropped me down to 20-25, and when i throttled up, it just putted and wouldnt go above 20mph.... any suggestions??

and it has gas lol....

+1
    check your inlet screen inside the nozzle. if that gets clogged, you'll smoke the exhaust hose. no water equals hot engine and melted hose.

That hose just wont give out and melt like that. theres a reason it got hot. Iv'e ran mine 10 years worth no rebuild on the carbs or hose replacement for 8 of them.

no kit for the triple outlet pump, john zigler on here may have one for ya. there about 35.00.. you'll need 2 plugs for the carbs and some fuel line coast guard approved. don't throw away the restrictor in the return line by the end of the carb rail with that zip tie on it. you need that to build fuel pressure..

I went to a plumbing store and bought a hose that had clamps already on it!

The Orifice was fairly clugged. Would it help to run it for a minute or so to it out? Or would this cause more problems?

Put the exhaust hose on and it all sounds normal again. Saturday will be the real test.

Ordered the triple outlet fuel pump too. Don't think I'll get it for this weekends test.

I will update after testing it on Saturday. Thanks for the help.

Carmine237, I think yours has a limp mode. I think I read it somewhere. May want to look into that and start a new Thread.

Running like a champ again. Digging out of the hole and topping out at about 6200RPM.

Thanks for the help!!!!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Awesome to hear!!!!!

Check your piston wash and see how she's doing internally. Ideally you should be turning 6300 RPM on a 750.

You're so close to that, it looks like an adjustment of the carb screw or 2 may get you that missing 100 RPM and perfect wash pattern.

Thread Information